Home Forum Ask A Member Vintage Single OMC Line Fuel Tank

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    nj-boatbuilder57
    Participant

I have 3 tanks….1 I bought last night on CL for $30 bucks, and it’s like new, another that I bought last year that’s in "OK" shape which I used last summer, and a 3rd that’s a rusty specimen. I’ve never really looked at any of the connections very closely at all & now come to realize that I don’t even understand how they really work.

3 questions come to mind:

– The 2 pins: one is clearly a shut-off valve for the gas pickup tube, but what does the other one do? I press it and can neither blow nor suck air through the pickup tube. If it does something, I can’t figure out what.

– The hose connector: when I snap it on to the tank, it doesn’t seem to sit face-flush to the tank connector on any of my tanks; the connector is being "pushed away" by the pin that activates the valve. Is that normal?

– Lastly, When I squeeze the bulb on the hose, am I simply sucking from the tank & pushing to the engine, or is there more to it than that?

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

The expanding bulb pulls the gas from the tank, squeezing it pushes it to the motor . . . 😆

nj-boatbuilder57
        Participant

Thanks for that.

I’m still wondering what the "other" pin does. Anyone know?

chinewalker
          Participant

US Member

As I noted in previous post, one pin lets fuel out, the other lets air in.

Steve D
            Participant

If the leak is coming from that tiny o-ring in the valve Chinewalker is referring to then this will help.
              http://www.oddjobmotors.com/tt4_singlelinetanks.htm

Mumbles
              Participant

I sure miss Art’s input on this site. He always had something good and beneficial for everyone to say.

frankr
                Participant

US Member

The wee o-ring behind the wee brass washer surrounding the fuel pin is the usual culprit causing leakage between the connector and tank housing. You need to be aware that there are two sizes of "wee", and order the correct one. Older ones are tiny and thin. Then they went to thicker ones.

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

I have occasionally used the Attwood connectors, and have not had a bad one yet, but based on others’s experience here, I avoid them unless I need one fast because I can get them at Walmart.

If you do go with the Attwood, read the package carefully because there is a metric one that fits Yamaha and some later model Mercurys, and it looks like the OMC connector but has slightly different dimensions and will not work on OMC.
                    Dave

vintin
                    Participant

I’ve also used the Attwood connectors and have had good luck.

I will not be buying any more though.

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.