Home Forum Ask A Member Warped cast aluminum tank flange

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

What sort of goop do you use to seal these up?

green-thumbs
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

SealAll a contact cement/adhesive with 1/32"Fel Pro Karopak gasket material. I picked up both at NAPA store Monday. I use Permatex to seal studs and lacquer thinner to wipe surface to remove any trace of oil or grease so SealAll will get a good grip.
        I will be posting a How to on Tools of the Trade as I reseal the tank. I am waiting for a warm
        day for outside work. Solven in SealAll evaporates leaving a tacky residue…FUMES are pretty
        strong..
        Louis

Device shown in photo is key to good results…cheap, simple and effective clamp. The tank is glued to the gasket material, then after SealAll has cured overnight the gasket is trimmed and
        excess material removed.

Attachments:

gofastgramps
        Participant

US Member

Louis don’t you think the tank might have a small leak with that large vent hole in the bottom. te. he.

green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You have a keen eye for fine details. Kiekhaefer (1941 Sea King single) More wrong with it than shows in photo. Needs a lot of welding.
            Louis

amuller
            Participant

Given how well you have trued up the faying surfaces, I wonder if you really need sheet material as well as goop.

green-thumbs
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have split and resealed about 10 tanks using Gasket and SealAll method.
                The option of using only a sealant without a gasket may be an acceptable
                alternative and certainly less complex.
                I am working on two early Kiekhaefer Mercury single cylinder gas tanks at present
                The first one had warped seal surface, which has been dealt with
                The second tank has a split gas outlet boss and a split in rear corner of top half.
                In taking tank apart I noticed that tank had been sealed without gasket using a Goop like substance. Tank was not easy to open so I guess the answer to your question is Yes it can be
                done with good results without a gasket.
                I will use a gasket and SealAll onntank #1 as I have had good results, more time and effort ,but, I am pretty sure I will not have to do it over.
                Tank #2 I will grind seal surface of flange. Best repair would require some welding and possible distortion stress. So maybe more sanding later. Epoxy gas tank repairs I have seen
                appear temporary fixes ,however , no distortion. Cost is also a factor.
                Louis

green-thumbs
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wrapping up warped tank subject.
                  Ground tank #2 surfaces and they are close match
                  Crack in corner may or may not be a problem
                  Someone asked it a corroded seam could be ground flat again…junk tank half had a corroded
                  seam (and other issues) A few minutes rubbing on wet or dry show a great improvement
                  Tank is cracked and break stands out so only part of seam could touch sand paper.
                  Trial indicates corrosion is as easily repaired as a warp.
                  Louis

Attachments:

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.