Home Forum Ask A Member 1926 Elto Super G

Viewing 10 posts - 71 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

Where is the blue smoke indicating an oil mix ?

Are you asking about his video or mine?
      Tubs

Tfelty
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Early in the message thread I mentioned this as high compression.  One spark plug was very loose which allowed moisture to get in one cylinder. Once I got the jugs off, got the rings unstuck, and then reassembled it is very tight fitting with a lot of compression. I’ve thought about honing the cylinders, but everybody I mention it to advises against it. My thoughts have been that if it would just run for 5 min it would seat the rings and  run itself in, but that is proving impossible. What are your thoughts?

The Boat House
        Participant

I believe your’ thinking is reasonable about getting
          it to run the first time. What do you think about trying this?
          Getting one of these and using a socket that fits the
          flywheel nut, and spinning the motor with a drill, with the
          spark plugs out, to see if it will free up some. You might
          also try it with just the spark plug in one cylinder at a time.
          The compression might be helpful in getting it to loosen
          up some if your drill is powerful enough to spin it.
          Tubs

Tfelty
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve tried that with every drill I could find. Nothing has enough power to turn the engine over. I’ll pull it back apart and give the jugs and pistons a better cleaning. I’m a little afraid, but I will lightly hone the jugs.

The Boat House
            Participant

If a drill wont spin the motor over with the plugs out
              its bound up some where. While your convinced it is the
              cylinders, and you may be correct, it could also be in
              the drive shaft or the lower unit. It may be difficult to
              determine with the cylinders off, but while they are,
              rotate the motor to see if you can tell if it is in fact
              the cylinders that is the issue.
              Tubs

HARRY D. NICHOLSON
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When I saw TFeltys video, I felt that the motor is too tight somewhere, not turning freely enough.  ‘Too tight’ would lead to heat somewhere which would cause even more tightness and then motor stoppage.

Tfelty
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I rented a larger drill and got it spinning. It did free up a lot. If this doesn’t get it free enough, then I’ll pull the jugs off and hone them. Afterwards I tried to start it again and got closer than ever. It ran for a couple of seconds. With the jugs off the you can spin the motor with two fingers. There is no sloop in the bearings. I’ve pulled the lower unit apart, cleaned and greased it, so I know it is fine. The coil rebuild has good spark. The timer is tripled checked, and points / plugs spark every time. The battery is charged and good. I’ve got two which I have tested in parallel with no improvement. My carb was a problem and flooded quickly. After I got it apart and lapped the valve seats and cleaned it up it is working perfectly thanks to Tub’s cap and spring. I have good compression. With spark, fuel, and compression and it still won’t run. It tries to start every turn. I’ll focus this weekend on getting it more free.

Tom
                  Participant

US Member

It’s possible that the rods are slightly bent and binding up when you reinstall the jugs.  Try this:  As you reinstall the jugs, before you bolt them up, see that the jug flange is parallel to the mounting face on the crankcase.  There may be a little play, depending on wrist pin fit and rod fit on the crank, so check it at the limits:  As you face the front of the motor, twist each jug lightly clockwise, then counterclockwise and make sure the differences balance out between the jug and the crankcase.  I apologize if this isn’t clear, post questions if it’s not.

If you find that the binding is caused by bent rods, they can simply be bent back until the cylinder flange is parallel to the mounting face of the crankcase.  The bronze rods are easily bent, particularly when trying to unstick a seized motor.  Rods can also be twisted, actually very common in an un-stuck motor, but it’s gotta be really bad to cause a problem on a Ruddertwin.

Good luck!

T

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

Did you clean the ring groves completely if not the new rings won’t be able to compress good enough.

Tfelty
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages! I present my fully functional Elto Super G!

https://youtube.com/shorts/I4UgqwhexEw?feature=share

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Tfelty.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 71 through 80 (of 83 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.