Home Forum Ask A Member 1967 sportwin 9_1/2 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    tinkerman
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’ve got this motor I’m working on for a friend. It seems to have great compression and fairly clean. I cleaned everything up, popped the flywheel and checked the coils (good) replaced fuel pump, impeller, cleaned and gapped points and got a rebuild kit for the carb. I only took the top half of carb off which has the float bowl and needle. After trying to start it I found out it won’t idle at all and wants a lot of choke to stay running. The bottom half of the carb is down along the side of the engine and unless I’m looking at something wrong I won’t have a gasket for this half to the block. The top half was gummy so I’m assuming I’ll need to clean the bottom half. Does this gasket look right for the bottom half? Any suggestions?

It's a jungle out there.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      frankr
      Participant

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

assuming no mechanical issues and good crank case vacum ….like any carb it must be 110% clean to pass fuel in it’s LS and HS circuits . the 9.5 even more… 🙂

see these 2 videos and let us know if you actually checked the idle passage way and cleaned under the 2 plugs on top. a good cleaning also needs a small plastic insert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-VTkOuSg00
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2pwU5aho9U

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_9.5.htm

the HS jet behind the lower bolt should inspected .. it must be 100% clean and.. pass light

the side knob (LS limiter) can be rotated a bit to keep the throttle from going… to low

see adjustement picture

for the missing carb base gasket you can always cut one up yourself.. .a bit tricky but doable if you can’t wait for snail mail delays

let us know how things work out

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The fixed high speed jet is in the bottom of the carb, it should be removed, inspected and cleaned… You will need the proper OMC jet screwdriver though: 317002. Sure a conventional screwdriver could be ground down to work OK…But, it it doesn’t fit right, it will damage the aluminum threads in the carb bowl, and the head of the fixed jet. The metal debris left behind will create even more problems and confusion for you

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

btw how good are the sparks… can you see them jump 3/8 inch.

did you replace the condensers which are probably no good if never replaced . they can test ok for internal shorts but fail under a working condition….with coil kick back reaching 250-275 volts !! acros the points it needs to protect-

testing the coils can you at least see 4-8 kohms to ground measuring from the boot clip to engine frame ??

read Leroy’s carefully for that little plastic insert in the LS fuel drip chamber … removing it to do a good job generally ruins it 🙁 and a replacement is needed

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
              tinkerman
              Participant

Thanks for all the replays I’ll dig back into it in the next couple days and give an update. Yes good strong spark, didn’t check or replace the condenser s I DID remove the plugs in upper part and clean good as I say I’ll update soon

It's a jungle out there.

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

careful on the HS jet … if you do not have proper tools just pass a small mono filament to push out any crud…if any

DO NOT USE metallic wires 2-4 lb mono should do

if you shine a light in the carb bottom half and look into the HS jet you should see light clearly

blow everything (orifices you can find) with carb cleaner and compressed air

seems to have good compression won’t fly …. you need to measure !!! Leroy’s article says comp.#s are freqenttly high 60 low 70s for this motor

my own back-up kicker runs high 60s – low 70psi and runs like a charm all day long trolling

tinkerman
                  Participant

Ok Ive gotten back into this thing and I took the carb back off dis assembled and soaked in carb cleaner overbite. I took the two metal plugs out and found the plastic plug behind larger one. Got it out and cleaned the three tiny holes out. I felt like I got the carb clean. But as far as the high speed jet. Leroy says it’s accessable from the float bowl. The only thing I saw was the needle seat (replaced that. So now it will start easily and will run with no choke for a bit but it won’t idle down low too well. I’m also unsure of the setting for the butterfly. I can see a worn shiny spot on the armature so I set the butterfly to begin opening at this spot . It doesn’t open at all until about half throttle but I’m speaking of half throttle with it in neutral. In other words it’s better but still not idling well at low speed. I feel like I took everything loose on the carb that I knew and feel like it’s clean (carb cleaner/soak compressed air fishing line everything I know to do. Any suggestions or help once again appreciated

It's a jungle out there.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

have you tried the side speed adjust  knob to keep the throttle from going  to low …  turning it….. blocks the throttle handle from creeping to low.

these  9.5 can also  smoke themselves to sleep with the cowl on…. exhaust crreps back up to theengine compartment ad kills the engine… try to run it with no cowl to see  you find it improves the idle.

the throttle sync doc. is important  you can try to  adjust the plastic follower  BEFORE the  notch .   there is a utube about this very subject..

Evinrude 9.5 hp Setting Timing and Points – YouTube

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by crosbyman.
                      tinkerman
                      Participant

I watched the video and believe I have the butterfly timed correctly. It’s idling a touch better. You may be onto something with the smoke sleep thing. I believe in gonna mix a fresh batch of gas at 50:1. I’m thinking I mixed the oil a little rich thinking too much oil was better than not enough. According to Leroy with these carbs everything needs to be perfect. It starts really easy and runs better the first 8_10 seconds then wants to start bogging down. When I give it about 1/2 choke it seems to run well. I’m getting closer but not quite there yet

It's a jungle out there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.