Home Forum Ask A Member 1967 sportwin 9_1/2 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have sold a few of these  9.5s  and one buyer   came  back with compliants on idle…. So I redid the carb, checked the float  specs etc…   he also mentionned that depending on the  tilt angle of  the motor it  would idle better  (apparently anyway) .

Autumn came around …and winter  & I have not heard of his  ” sea/lake trial”  with  the renewed carb work  I did  but  just for fun …..try to change your  tilt angle  to see if it  alters the  idling performance.

btw my beauty (pictured above )  runs perfect  all day but  is a hard starter  in the morning…and trust me   I  checked and rechecked averything.  the beast likes to sleep. 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

tinkerman
      Participant

US Member

Ok I’m back. I changed the condensers regapped and cleaned points (again) at low idle it “lurches” if I close the choke 1/4 to 1/3 it will idle GREAT I sprayed carb cleaner around carb and fuel lines found 2 fuel lines that were a little loose and thought wow that was simple but no difference after I tightened them. So I’m figuring carb. I e took off and completely cleaned everything twice but can’t seem to get the (low idle?) circuit clean. I don’t think I’ve found or understand the high idle screw. I thought one article said it was behind the metal plug with the plastic plug underneath but I didn’t see a screw driver slot. One article said it was accessible from the float bowl but all I saw there was the needle seat. I know there’s something I’m missing on cleaning this thing and really believe this motor has a lot of life left in it but I’m stumped

It's a jungle out there.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What part are you referring to when you talk about a “high idle screw”?  Does the engine run properly at higher speeds without partial choke?  Did you ever remove and inspect the fixed high speed jet?

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

there is no HS screw adjustment like older carbs ….. in a 9.5hp   it is simply a screwed-in mini plug with  a calibrated hole (jet)    it sits behind the bottom bolt you  see  way the  bottom front of the carb.

The jet IS NOT accessible from the bowl .    twe min jet plug can be unscrewed out but best to just flush it clean with carb cleaner  if you do not  a perfectly fitting tool to unscrew it

Did you watch the videos I provided ???

If the engine needs to be choked after all the cleaning you did one must assume  that is it not  “sucking enough air ” to cause vaporization  of fuel out of the LS  drip holes .

Closing the choke  just concentrates the  available   vacum  on the LS circuit of the carb  and  may simply  loss of a certain % of vacum  via cranckcase seals.

revisit the vidoes… make certain ALL holes are open  incl.  and  free open ones (if any)  needed to balance atmospheric air pressure and prevent airlocking

sorry my carbs  are  at the cottage  so I can’t  inspect one closely….

does it idle better if you set the idle RPMS a bit higher with the side knob ??

tinkerman
            Participant

US Member

I suppose that’s what I’m talking about is the fixed jet. I’m confused as to where it’s at and if it’s removable without damaging it as I e read different opinions. But yes when you speed it up to about halfway from lowest to as far as you can move the throttle without shifting it smooths out considerably then at as far as you can move the throttle without shifting it is as smooth as can be

It's a jungle out there.

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

just turn the side knob which will limit the throttle  handle travel at the optimum idle position and don’t worry about it  if everything  else is adjusted and clean .

go fishing !

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
                tinkerman
                Participant

US Member

That’s probably what I’m about to do, is call it good enough lol. I believe I will try to get the fixed HS jet out and clean that good. (It’s the only port I haven’t cleaned) as Leroys ramblings says these need to be squeaky clean. If the problem persists it will just have to idle a little higher than normal

It's a jungle out there.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The high speed jet has to be pretty plugged up to affect idle quality.  So, if the engine runs OK at high speeds, I’m sure the idle issue has nothing to do with the high speed jet.  In any event, don’t try to remove that jet without the proper jet screwdriver, you will bung up the threads and the jet.  You and try to use a pipe cleaner soaked in carb cleaner, try passing it through the fixed jet while it is still in place on the carb.

You may be able to get a better idle adjustment once you have the engine on the boat and take it for a good run on the water.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

try tilting the  angle on the transom ..suggest like Fleetwin…do not mess with the HS jet   just run a 4lb  mono in it… blow in carb cleaner  again…

if you open the bolt in front of it   and   fuel in the carb  bowl quickly flows out… then  the HS jet is fine !

go fishing

tinkerman
                      Participant

US Member

Good advice I’ll try it. I read the jet was not easy to remove. And also read the suggestion of taking it to the lake. I appreciate all the input. I’ll let you know if the idle clears up

It's a jungle out there.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.