Home Forum Ask A Member 1973 6Hp Evinrude Fisherman hard starting cold

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

One more stray thought, and again, forgive me if this was already discussed.
      Did you have this carb apart, clean/rebuild? If so, did you do anything with those pesky fiber needle valve seal/stiffeners located deep inside the valve cavity… The carb will suck air around the needle valve if those packing washers are missing/damaged or if the gland nut isn’t tight enough…The gland nut should be snug enough so it takes some effort to turn the needle with the knob installed, you should not be able to turn the needle by hand without the knob installed. I’m not saying pull all those messy fiber washers out of there, it is a messy job that can oftentimes introduce crud (pieces of the washers) into the needle valve and mixing pocket…Just make sure the nut is snug so air won’t leak around the needle into the mixing pocket…This could explain why the needle must be set out at two turns to run…Just a thought….D

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Tom Bertulli
      Participant

billw Thanks for the timing tutorial. It gives me some confidence that there are no timing issues here.

Fleetwin. I’ve paid close attention to the LS needle circuit, well cleaned, new packing & all but original needle. I’ll keep my eyes open for an inexpensive needle over the winter. I think I’ll close the book on this one for the winter as it is snowing to beat the band here today. Thanks to all who helped. I will be in touch and consider Joining the Association. You guys have been great.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Is the original needle in good shape, no need to replace it if so…. Hopefully I will have mine figured out by then, perhaps we have similar issues…

Tom Bertulli
          Participant

To Fleetwin My needle does not appear broken and is without rings or mars on the taper, but it appears somewhat blunt. I don’t have a similar carb needle to compare it to, so I don’t really know if it is perfect, but the engine runs.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, will try to post a picture of a good 6hp needle in the future….D

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

While the wrong needle would certainly be a big problem, you’d think that a blunt needle would run with FEWER turns out from lightly seated…..?

Long live American manufacturing!

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is out of a six.

6-hp-needle-valve

Long live American manufacturing!

Tom Bertulli
                  Participant

Hi Billw, Looks about right in dimensions but mine is more rounded at the point and shows less of a flat tip. Probably does not mean much? Thanks for the photo.

Tom Bertulli
                    Participant

Well it”s been a couple of years since i last visited this project. I have changed the bottom seal and added a primer bulb which throws gas directly past the choke and starting improved until this spring when it would not start. The first start was easy enough – ran it for an hour and then tried to restart —- no spark. The Nova 2 ignition chips – knock offs under the brand name of Laser from Princess Auto have both failed in a most peculiar way. When the rope starter is pulled there is no spark because the flywheel does not rotate fast enough. When I turn the flywheel with an electric drill on the hub nut there is good hot blue spark. As the RPM of the drill decreases it reaches a point where the spark stops abruptly. Pulling the rope starter does not reach the RPM threshold to establish a spark. I

assume the chips have failed. Does any on know of another type more reliable than the nova type ignitions. I have heard that Kawasaki ignition chips might work but can’t find any info on them. I would use red Atom ignition chips (like my dad did) but they are long out of production. Any help would be appreciated

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the initial  design worked  pretty good… why not go  coils condensers  points ..and go  fishing…and  return 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 76 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.