Home Forum Ask A Member 1980 12hp Evinrude Worktwin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    evinrudeworktwin
    Participant

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could lend a hand.

I have recently bought an Evinrude 12hp worktwin with the intention of restoring it. Model number is E12RSLCSA. I believe it is a commercial model put togeather previous year model parts. It starts very easily and has spectacular compression but unfortunately does pump water – so i intend on replacing the water pump etc. It also appears it does not have a carbeuretor air filter. The problem is i am unable to find any parts lists or diagrams, so cannot find replacement parts. If anyone knows anything about these motors or knows what part numbers i need to be looking for your help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks a million!

EFCF9CF7-006A-48F7-9B95-FA18E4D73624

• This topic was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.
      evinrudeworktwin
      Participant

Sorry ment to say “does not pump water”

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I know nothing about your motor, but I see a 6 hp and a 14 hp Worktwin on YouTube.
          No 12 hp.
          Does it look like the 12 hp one?
          https://youtu.be/77Qy1fHTrw4

P.S.- there should be an “edit” link where you can make corrections in your post…..
          I use it all the time!

Prepare to be boarded!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Buccaneer.
          Fred Hickman
          Participant

Post a picture of the powerhead & lower unit, please. also, drop the lower unit and post a picture of the water pump.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Fred Hickman.
            fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You are correct, this commercial model is a mixture of old and new pieces….New style 9.9-15hp powerhead adapted to an older style 10hp style midsection….It may not use the air box like on conventional recreational models..
              Let’s start with your original issue, doesn’t pump water. Are you sure you have the gearcase deep enough in the water? I am assuming nothing comes out of the overboard telltale which is why you are assuming it doesn’t pump water….Is any water coming out of the exhaust relief on the midsection? This may just be an issue of the overboard telltale line being plugged up, which is very common. Try blowing back through the outlet nipple with compressed air. Or, perhaps removing the plastic nipple so any trapped debris can get out easily….But, be careful those plastic nipples break very easily, so be sure to use some long needle nose to compress the two locking arms inside the lower motor cover so the nipple will come down and out of the cover and can be removed from the overboard hose….
              If no water is coming from the exhaust relief as well, then you indeed have some sort of pumping issue. Finding parts lists for these obscure commercial models can be tough, but I will look around……..D

rmhxruss
              Participant

Yes parts for this motor should be available. But have never seen a parts catalog for one.

evinrudeworktwin
                Participant

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the replies, it is much appreciated.

Sorry for such a delayed reply on my part, i have been having trouble logging into the website.

Thanks for you suggestion regarding a blocked tell tale hose, i took off the entire hose, checked it and blew air through it. It didnt seem to be blocked by any thing. I also started the motor with the tell tale hose off, and no water came out of the hole it connects to – so im thinking it must be a problem in the lower unit. Additionally there is no water coming out of the outlet in the mid section.

Regarding having it in water high enough to reach the water intake i thought something similar initially, so i filled the bin it was in up much higher (way over the level of intake) and it made no difference. I also check the start of the intakes with welding wire but it appears nothing is blocking the either.

I have been unable to take the lower unit off as it appears the bolts are seized. Is it acceptable to use heat in this situation? Or could that damage seals somewhere etc…

I have attatched some photos below that i hope help identify what older year model parts were used.

If we can identify what older year parts (say for example the lower unit is from) were used for each section of the motor do you think i could simply find the parts manual for the recreational model from that year and order the corresponding part (specifically impeller etc)?

Thanks again guys!

ED855C1A-D7EB-4568-B20B-965746C85FAB

87791B82-2608-486F-81C0-C3A95AB099DB

7DC4546C-CD32-4DD4-A540-8FD9B10F6217

F1605862-9DA0-4E22-ACE2-BD4F2F0561DE

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.
                  evinrudeworktwin
                  Participant

More photos

946281C7-69B6-45DA-8F88-391421E9A320

D680C053-8AD4-47B0-B5FC-349B600F2956

FD73EC96-8DFC-42A6-A90B-5681B501CABF

C545B708-16EB-4062-BB51-26246B2FCA5C

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well I guess you have problems if there is no water coming out of the exhaust relief as well…. The engine doesn’t show the usual signs of being overheated, no burnt paint or melted wiring…
                      I still haven’t been able to find a parts breakdown for this engine though…
                      In any event, yes you will probably need to add some heat to the four bolts holding the gearcase on to the extension housing. Try the mapp gas, works a little better than the regular propane torch set up. Have an assistant warm up each screw while you gently rock the screws back and forth gently until you feel they will unthread without breaking. Patience is key here, if you force the screws, you will break them off, it may take a few heat cycles to loosen up each bolt enough so it will come out on its own without breaking.
                      Once you have the four screws out, pry the gearcase down a bit to expose the shift rod connector hidden inside. Remove just one of the connector screws and the gearcase will drop down on its own….This unit may use either the old style aluminum impeller housing, or the newer style plastic housing with the SS liner. These two style pumps use different impellers, we will know what you need once you have it off and post some pictures.
                      PS The impeller housing screws might put up a fight also, and you sure don’t want to break one of those off. You can heat up the aluminum housing to loosen the screws but the plastic housing is another story…You may have to “waste” the plastic housing so you can apply heat to the screws without melting the plastic and getting fumed out. Remember, patience is key, you don’t want to break off one of those little screws flush with the housing, or you are in a real mess….

evinrudeworktwin
                      Participant

Thanks for the tips fleet twin!

Following your advice I have managed to get it all apart and found a very obvious problem… the impeller is essentially non existant (had no fins left). I have attatched some photos to hopefully help with identification.

Also, i have not been able to find all of the broken pieces of the impeller, i guess i now have to go searching through the rest the of the motor to find them hahah? 🙁 Any tips or advice for next steps?

Thanks a bunch again!

093F3095-7CCB-4C6B-99F4-2C56F88150EF

DB09C8E6-C2BF-4257-AF7A-ADA0B2FF63E4

2A79C5E8-F838-471F-9293-76BA6BF37DA3

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.