Home Forum Ask A Member 1980 12hp Evinrude Worktwin

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well this is unfortunate….Look very hard to find all the pieces, and do some reconstructive investigation…But, you did get all the little screws out, so that is a break….
      Try putting the driveshaft back in, and inverting the gearcase with the driveshaft secured somehow so it won’t fall out…. Now, find a kitchen strainer (don’t let the wife catch you) and place it underneath the hole in the upper bushing where the water enters underneath the pump… You may want to reinstall the four water pump screws (without the pump) to hold the upper bushing it place. You don’t wat to blow that piece off its gasket with excess water pressure, or you will end up with a water leak into the gearcase…Is the upper seal OK? Kinda looks pretty bad under there… Now, have an assistant squirt the hose down on the intake screen, perhaps this will force any impeller debris out and into the strainer….You could also pull that side water intake cover, again, be very careful with those screws…Don’t force them…If they don’t want to come out, probably best to ignore this suggestion instead of breaking little screws off in the housing…

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

I’ve never seen a water pump innards that looks that bad!
        If that’s a salt water motor, I’m glad I live in the land
        of 10,0000000000000 mosquitoes.

Prepare to be boarded!

evinrudeworktwin
        Participant

Thanks mate! I tried that and found a few other pieces but probably not all of them. Have cleaned it all up and it actually looks somewhat ok now. The seal actually seems to be in pretty good shape after cleaning it all back (somehow, supprisingly hahaha)

Im still stuck on what actual impeller / water pump im after. All of the ones on marine engine.com dont seem to match (they dont have the correct arrangement of the five holes on the impeller plate). Do you know if i could order one based off dimensions / measurements?

Cheers

evinrudeworktwin
          Participant

Hahhaa it is a bit of a shocker isnt it buccaneer. It certainly is a salt water motor.

Mumbles
            Participant

The gearcase and water pump sure resemble the ones used on ’77-’79 six horse motors. If you can give me some measurements of the liner and shaft size I can compare them to some 763758 six horse pump kits I have on hand.

CD-Water-Pump-Kit-763758

DSC00038

DSC00041

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I have not had any luck finding a parts list for this yet, but will keep looking… I think the driveshaft on this one is thicker than the 6hp, will try to find the part number for a complete updated kit for the 10hp models…D

Mumbles
                Participant

Well, I have not had any luck finding a parts list for this yet, but will keep looking… I think the driveshaft on this one is thicker than the 6hp, will try to find the part number for a complete updated kit for the 10hp models…D

I think you are right as OMC might have updated the ten horse style water pumps used on these motors like they did on the 77-79 six horse motors. A plastic housing with a liner and small diameter impeller.

Unfortunately, I gave away volumes of shop manuals last year and I bet this model would have been covered in one of them.

DSC00284

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I emailed marineengine.com, hopefully they can help… It can be frustrating trying to find the correct manuals for some of these obscure OMC models…

evinrudeworktwin
                    Participant

Thanks you guys are champions.

@ mumbles: your right it looks identical (as far as i can see) to the one you have just posted.

I have attatched some photos with a ruler for scale.

2C7804C1-B961-4371-846F-0471E637F48F

DC685D8F-C855-4A96-A04C-10B54A770483

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.
                      billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am pretty sure that the 9.9/15 impeller has the same outer dimensions as the impeller that fits in the new-style 6 hp housing but has a larger shaft diameter…..No time right now to double check that but I can do it tonight, if somebody else hasn’t done it by then…

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.