Home Forum Ask A Member Back Again With A 1959 Gale Buccaneer 35HP

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

Removing the rewind starter will give access to the flywheel. You will see an inspection hole cover held on with two screws. Their you can check the coils for cracks. If they have been changed in the last 20 years they should be OK. If they are the original coils, they will be it pieces. . . 😕

harpua
      Participant
        quote Garry in Tampa:

Removing the rewind starter will give access to the flywheel. You will see an inspection hole cover held on with two screws. Their you can check the coils for cracks. If they have been changed in the last 20 years they should be OK. If they are the original coils, they will be it pieces. . . 😕

Welp. I did that and there is good and bad news.

Good news is everything electrical looks beautiful

Bad news is this looks pretty bad.

Sooo….lol about pulling the flywheel…..lol.

Anyone have a part number for this? What next?

Thanks

lindy46
        Participant

US Member

Beautiful, eh?? You have original coils and condensers and most likely points. I’d replace everything under the flywheel including the plug wires. Part numbers are in the diagram above.

harpua
          Participant

Beautiful, eh?? You have original coils and condensers and most likely points. I’d replace everything under the flywheel including the plug wires. Part numbers are in the diagram ]

I wish i could replace everything but i dont have the time and money. Might pick up an ignition coil and hope for the best.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

The old coils have pins thot the high voltage spark plug wires pushed into. You will note the new coils have screws, so the wires will be twisted to thread them in place. – these pages for your information . . . 😀

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Those coils are good news. They mean it hasn’t been run since many, many years ago. Guessing 40.

harpua
                Participant
                  quote Garry in Tampa:

The old coils have pins thot the high voltage spark plug wires pushed into. You will note the new coils have screws, so the wires will be twisted to thread them in place. – these pages for your information . . . 😀

Ok, seems easy enough. Whats the best/proper way to get the flywheel off and get at these coils? Any tricks to getting the coils out? Seems straight-forward.

40 years seems about right. Guy i bought it from got it 11 years ago and it was sitting at an old house many years before that apparently. I think it ran for 25 years due to pitting on the skeg, and was taken care of, then replaced and forgotten about. Looks like its been kicked around for 40 years on the outside, but overall neat on the inside.

Hope i am right 😐

lindy46
                  Participant

US Member

You need a puller that screws into the three holes on the top of the flywheel. You may be able to borrow/rent one from an auto parts store. DON’T use one that clamps around the outer edge of the flywheel. See this thread:
                    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12990

outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member

Take some old spark plugs (any type) and bend the gap open at at least 1/4 inch and see if you still have spark jumping. I’ve found that to be a pretty good indicator, but I’ve also seen recommended that you have 1/2 inch spark outside the motor with no compression. If you take off the inspection cover on the flywheel put there to access points, turn the flywheel and look at what you can see of the coils. Here is a photo of what Garry is talking about when those old coils age – these are really aged bad! It starts with a couple cracks in the insulation:

Opps – Sorry – I just saw page 4 and noticed this has already been pretty well covered.

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member

There are after-market coils out there priced reasonable. Some of us prefer one brand over another. I’ve been using Sierra coils with no problems, although sometimes getting the spark plug wire into them far enough to mount them takes some persuading, especially if you don’t replace the spark plug wires.. It is #18-5181. Approx $18 each at iboats.com
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 46 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.