Home Forum Ask A Member Buccaneer

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Tinman
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

This is what I have.

IMG_4836

IMG_4835

frankr
      Participant

OK, your parts list says the difference between “E” and “C” is the #4 thrust washer. It also says RJE-18 (no suffix), replace the entire lower bearing with seal parts. That means the no-suffix model is the one with the bad seal and you have to replace the whole assembly to correct it. Since you do not have the no-suffix model, you got lucky.

lloyd
        Participant

I have a 1958 Hiawatha 12. Runs nice! Can’t find any service info about this motor. Is it the same as the Buccaneer 12 and prone to the same lower crankshaft seal problem?

bobw
          Participant

Following up on Tinman’s Javelin lower seal question, my ‘56 RD-18 came with the crappy lower seal and the double base gasket/stainless baffle plate. The powerhead was a total junker and I found a good RDE-18 powerhead with the improved lower crank seal. As Frank noted, I can’t see where the stainless baffle plate provides any real benefit so I’m thinking I will just install a new single base gasket and leave the baffle plate out. Thoughts on this? BTW, I think there was a thread on this baffle plate topic some time ago but can’t find it through the search feature.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

frankr
            Participant

I have a 1958 Hiawatha 12. Runs nice! Can’t find any service info about this motor. Is it the same as the Buccaneer 12 and prone to the same lower crankshaft seal problem?

According to my information, the last Gale-built Hiawatha was 1955. Got a model number to verify what you have?

frankr
              Participant

Following up on Tinman’s Javelin lower seal question, my ‘56 RD-18 came with the crappy lower seal and the double base gasket/stainless baffle plate. The powerhead was a total junker and I found a good RDE-18 powerhead with the improved lower crank seal. As Frank noted, I can’t see where the stainless baffle plate provides any real benefit so I’m thinking I will just install a new single base gasket and leave the baffle plate out. Thoughts on this? BTW, I think there was a thread on this baffle plate topic some time ago but can’t find it through the search feature.

I almost forgot about the baffle plate on the RD motors. Thinking back, I sort of think it was supposed to deflect the exhaust away from the shift linkage. Anyhoo, it probably will live without it, as long as the gasket alone is thick enough to provide space for the drive shaft height. Or of course you could leave the baffle in. But don’t try to take that thinking to the bank.

bobw
                Participant

Thanks, Frank. I ordered 2 replacement gaskets and they seem thicker than the original ones. Think I’ll do a trial fit with just one gasket, no baffle and see how the driveshaft fits up.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                  1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                  "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Tinman
                  Participant

Thanks for all the great help and knowledge!

lloyd
                    Participant

Thank you Frank for your reply! I found this motor recently and it is a mystery to me, but after routine gearcase, lube and magneto adjustments, it runs and shifts and pumps H2O nice. Original paint and decals in good shape and say “Hiawatha 12”. Not at all sure it is a 1958 motor. Just my limited research showed a “Hiawatha” was made in 1958. There are no rubber motor mounts like similar OMC motors. The Transom Mount ID plate has the following info: Gambles, Gamble Skogomo Inc., Minneapolis * Gambles, Western Auto Supply Co. , Los Angeles
                      Model No. 450MI25-7982 Serial No. 544801

outbdnut2
                      Participant

Your motor was produced by Gale division of OMC(Johnson/Evinrude), and is a 1954 per the site below:

http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_hiawatha_2.html
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.