Home Forum Ask A Member Early 1957 Evinrude 18 Prop Seals

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    JohnRude
    Participant

Canada Member

New guy needing help. I’m attempting my first 18 hp overhaul. Great motor. Magneto and carb are done. New gear oil. Starts and runs well BUT…no water coming out. Took the lower unit off. Only white sludge and mud came out. The prop seal literally fell out. BRP says seal 302495 is discontinued and there is no sub. Can’t find one at Sierra.
      Someone here a few years ago, Chris, had some made but so far no response from him. Would a gear head housing from a 57 Johnson or later 57 Evinrude with the smaller 1 1/8 OD bearing fit. The skeg castings look the same but have different numbers. This motor is mint in most respects. I don’t want to abandon it because of a $20 seal.

seakaye12
      Participant

US Member

You should verify dimensions but I show in my notes that a National # 471264  or a SKF/Timkin #6280 would work.

Either or both of those may not be Stainless Steel so they would not be as long lasting (especially in salt water) as the SS variety.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I installed some SKF on one oldy few years ago…..  before installing I coated the exposed portion facing outward  with 2-3 coats of  latex  glue which  when dry  gave it a  good waterproof   rubbery  surface to face the elements (water)

Did this as a trial  and pretty confident the non stainless  steel  will last much longer .   I presume  the same  “minimum protection”  could be obtained  with  any product  like epoxy to coat the outside surface of the seal  after the seal is installed.   The inside surfaces will soak in oil so no worries on that side of the seal  🙂

I can’t vouch  for longetivity because I sold the engine.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
          Participant

US Member

New guy needing help. I’m attempting my first 18 hp overhaul. Great motor. Magneto and carb are done. New gear oil. Starts and runs well BUT…no water coming out. Took the lower unit off. Only white sludge and mud came out. The prop seal literally fell out. BRP says seal 302495 is discontinued and there is no sub. Can’t find one at Sierra.
            Someone here a few years ago, Chris, had some made but so far no response from him. Would a gear head housing from a 57 Johnson or later 57 Evinrude with the smaller 1 1/8 OD bearing fit. The skeg castings look the same but have different numbers. This motor is mint in most respects. I don’t want to abandon it because of a $20 seal.

Yes, the newer gearcase head & seal will work.

Steve D
            Participant

Another option that some have used is a spacer allowing you to use the more readily available smaller seal 313284 in the earlier larger gearcase head. A member made them a few years back, not sure if he still does.

https://www.aomci.org/forums/topic/qd-16-prop-shaft-seal/

prop-head-reducer-spacer-ring-302495-to-313284
              302495-313284-Seal-and-Adapter-Ring

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Another option that some have used is a spacer allowing you to use the more readily available smaller seal 313284 in the earlier larger gearcase head. A member made them a few years back, not sure if he still does.

https://www.aomci.org/forums/topic/qd-16-prop-shaft-seal/

prop-head-reducer-spacer-ring-302495-to-313284
                302495-313284-Seal-and-Adapter-Ring

I made some of those reducer bushings a few years ago.  I still have some.  DM me if you’re interested. I’ll try to keep an eye on my messages on this board.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by fisherman6.
                JohnRude
                Participant

Canada Member

Thanks to all for the quick answers. Went to my local Canada Bearings and showed him the seal. The last install was a Chicago Rawhide seal which they carry. Also Timken and SKF. At least it gets the motor back onto the water.
                  These seals do come with a magic synthetic coating to protect them but Crosbyman (again) is correct. The company also suggested coating the exterior end with epoxy or Teflon or some sticky protector. The seal I took out was a CR seal and showed no signs of rust at least from the outside. And, anybody with extra parts lying around could just look for a later model and use that bearing housing with 1 1/8 common seal as frankr confirmed.
                  Brilliant. Thanks again.
                  BTW A seal is $14.00 CDN including shipping.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Johnrude…. with all the crows I have eaten I have no claim to fame !

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
                    JohnRude
                    Participant

Canada Member

Crows always seem to get a bad rap. Processers of carrion, smart, family centric, great memory, likes shiny things. What’s up with that?

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Every time I erred  in my “outboard” comments crow was served to me 🙂

BTW as an adolescent I raised 2 crows at the  summer cottage .  They would come at the blow of  a wistle land on my head or shoulders.

Neighbours did not  like their high dives and swoops very much… especially the ladies

Yes they stole shiny  stuff… nickels dimes  anything shiny

One day after a 2 day trip to the city… when I returned to  rejoin my 2 friends….  they were nowhere to be found ….. maybe the neighbors scared them away ….

The opportunity never  came again to make  such  obedient friends.

Sorry I digress… back to  seals ….

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.