Home Forum Ask A Member Early 1957 Evinrude 18 Prop Seals

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

For the generation that doesn’t know, the phrase “eat crow”, an idiom, means:

To eat crow means to humble yourself and admit that you were wrong about something. Eating crow is a colloquial idiom, used in some English-speaking countries, that means humiliation by admitting having been proven wrong after taking a strong position.

I’ve had to eat a lot of it.

bobw
      Participant

US Member

There’s been times in my past when not only did I have to eat some crow, I had to top it off with a big slice of humble pie.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Mumbles
        Participant

Another option that some have used is a spacer allowing you to use the more readily available smaller seal 313284 in the earlier larger gearcase head. A member made them a few years back, not sure if he still does.

https://www.aomci.org/forums/topic/qd-16-prop-shaft-seal/

prop-head-reducer-spacer-ring-302495-to-313284
          302495-313284-Seal-and-Adapter-Ring

Wow, nice photos Steve!  I had forgotten about these!

JohnRude
          Participant

Canada Member

Crosbyman? What have we started with all this crow talk?? Sorry frankr but why crow in the first place? I grew up with a toy gun to shoot plastic black crows off of a wire. And it seemed great sport to present strings of dead black crows after an afternoon shoot. Sort of like ducks back in the forties.

Now about those seals. What’s the difference between single lip and double lip seals? Which one should we use?

JohnRude
            Participant

Canada Member

Crosbyman? What have we started with all this crow talk?? Sorry frankr but why crow in the first place? I grew up with a toy gun to shoot plastic black crows off of a wire. And it seemed great sport to present strings of dead black crows after an afternoon shoot. Sort of like ducks back in the forties.

Now about those seals. What’s the difference between single lip and double lip seals? Which one should we use?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by JohnRude.
            Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.