Evinrude 3HP folding motor

Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 3HP folding motor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)

• chipster303

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 27
    Topics: 13

I just bought a 1966 Evinrude 3HP folding motor. When I fold the lower unit, a metal piece that connects the drive shafts falls out. Is this normal? If not, how do you prevent it from falling out? Also looking for a copy of an owner’s manual for this motor and a case.
    Thank you.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Absolutely not normal for it to fall apart. However, it has been too many years since I’ve seen one up close and personal enough to remember what might be missing.

6.-Exhaust-Housing-and-Brackets-FOLDING

7.-Exh-Hsg-and-Brackets-FOLDING-Parts-List

10.-Gearcase-WEEDLESS

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by frankr.

dave-bernard

Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

I know of 2 types one has a flange on the bottom of the coupler it uses the drive pin and washer to hold it in.
    type 2 has a groove in the coupler that holds a snap ring and the drive pin to hold it on.
    1 914 310 7086.

chipster303

Didn’t think it was right. Will have to look at it closer. Thank you Dave and frankr for your responses!

dave-bernard

Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

I am looking for a lower starboard cowl with the recess for the lower unit 1 914 310 7086

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1965&hp=3&model=3602&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Fuel+Tank+And+Motor+Cover+Group

This is the page from marineengine.com, even though it says it is for a 1965 model…
    Don’t know what that part number is, but it is meaningless….Just a manufacturing number I guess…
    You won’t find this new probably, so you will have to look for used stuff….
    Don

retiredoz

Replies: 565
    Topics: 27

It should look like this : If the lower coupler falls off, the drive pin is missing/broken. The coupler has a slot in it to permit the spring loading. The pin is made f unobtainium, according to ME..

IMG_3621

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Mumbles.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years

I’m having the same issue with the 66 folder I am trying to resurrect. I did find one model year that called for a retainer clip….But, the OMC price for that clip is ridiculous… I need to take another look at it….

chipster303

Attached is a picture of my lower drive shaft. Evidently, the problem is the clip is missing. It looks like the groove the clip goes into is very shallow. I think Evinrude changed this design in later years. Mine is a 1966 model. Do you know a part number for this clip? I am trying to think of a more positive repair. so this does not happen again.
    Thank you all for your responses!
    Chip

Evinrude-3HP-drive-shaft

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Mumbles.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years

Trying to remember where I saw this clip, perhaps it was when I used the actual BRP site for part numbers, perhaps from a different year. Will have another look tomorrow…D

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.