Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 3HP folding motor

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    dave-bernard
    Participant

US Member

chip send me an email daveb409@hotmail.com cant put pics up here

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Chip
        Have been trying to find the one parts diagram that shows a clip, but can’t find it now. Those diagrams are confusing anyway, they show all the folding parts on the upper driveshaft, which is not the case…..

chipster303
        Participant

US Member

I have found a snap ring that works perfectly. It is stainless steel. It is McMaster Carr number 91590A128. It is for a 3/4 inch diameter shaft. If you give me your email address I can send you a picture.
          Chip

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

dkellogg56 on gmail…
            But, I would still like to figure out how this thing is supposed to work, most of the parts books don’t show the snap ring we both feel is necessary to keep the drive lug in place….Wish I had a service manual for one of these engines….
            Thanks Chip
            Don

chipster303
            Participant

US Member

Don,
              Give me your email address and I will send you a picture of the lower drive shaft with the snap ring in place.
              Chip

cajuncook1
              Participant

1968-3hp-Folder-gearcase-with-lower-unit-drive-shaft

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Chip

dkellogg56 on gmail.com

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

1968-3hp-Folder-gearcase-with-lower-unit-drive-shaft

Your picture points out my frustrations with the parts books. The parts books seem to show that all the connector stuff is on the upper driveshaft, but the only thing that is on the upper driveshaft is the big pin that the “lug” locks into….
                    I’m guessing the parts books are this way just to minimize the different pages for various models, but it is misleading nonetheless…

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cajun just sent me a copy of the 66 service manual and parts book…So, Dave’s description of two different types of retaining systems is correct. The 66 parts book calls for a 205577 retainer for the coupler, which supercedes the very expensive “coupler assembly”. Neither of these parts is available, so will look into Chip’s retaining clip that he found….Later years have different part numbers for these items which must reflect the design change…
                      Now to just figure out how the system changed in later years…I’m guessing the SS retainer clip was a weak link that came off easily allowing the coupler to fall apart when the lower unit was folded up….
                      Glad to be learning something here…
                      Thanks
                      D

dave-bernard
                      Participant

US Member

easiest fix is weld the end of the slot at the bottom just a little 1/8 in to 1/4 so is fine then take the pin out install the coupler and install the pin.. good to go.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by dave-bernard.
                        • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by dave-bernard.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.