Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Lightwin 3 3806A

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Dana Watkins
    Participant

I have been gifted an Evinrude Lightwin 3, 3806A E03760. I understand it to be a 1968 model year. It is remarkably clean and appears to be all intact, although it has been sitting for at least 20 years. The magneto/prop turn freely. I want to use it this summer out on the pond on my Eaton aluminum 12-footer, built in Windham, Maine, probably in the early 1960s. I am prepared, if necessary, to replace everything under the magneto, rebuild the carberator, and replace grease and seals in the lower unit and ensure proper water flow for cooling. As a first step I intend to try to start it in a barrel and go from there. I expect it will start and run, but probably run roughly. The 3806A has a remote tank. I have an Attwood 6-gallon plastic tank with a brass male fitting on it, the fitting type unknown, which I intend to use. Question: what size is the proper fuel line for this 3806A? I think it is 5/16 OD. Any other suggestions for this project or any comments on the particularities of this motor would be greatly appreciated.

Mumbles
      Participant

It seems you are already ahead of the game and have all of the regular maintenance items covered but the gearcase requires marine grade gear oil, not grease.

This reminds me that I have the same motor here on the ‘to do’ rack but it is a folder and is missing the powerhead.

Dana Watkins
        Participant

Yes, gear oil, not grease. Thanks for that Mumbles. What do you think about fuel line size?

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
            Dana Watkins
            Participant

Ok, got it re hose size, thanks crosbyman. Roger the impeller. I have seen these links at outboard-boat-motor-repair and they will help a lot when I get there.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This was the first year for this radical change to a solid engine design that had been used for years. The powerhead internals were mostly unchanged, but most of the external stuff was. The fragile side mounted starter is the achilles heel for these engines, be very careful when using it. Pull the rope slowly until the starter gear has engaged with the flywheel, then pull it to start the engine. Do not pull it out to far, and be very careful not to let go of the recoil grip..Releasing the grip usually will damage the recoil spring.
                Yes, you should certainly pull the gearcase down and drain the lube. There is no need to replace the prop shaft/driveshaft seals unless there is evidence of water in the lube when drained. Inspect the aluminum impeller housing and SS impeller plate, then replace the impeller with the correct OEM piece. Lubing the driveshaft splines is extremely important, along with replacing the driveshaft oring. Use the OMC moly lube to grease up the drivehsaft splines, keep the lube off the top of the driveshaft. Failure to lube/seal these splines can result in premature spline wear which usually ruins the splines on the crank and driveshaft, expensive parts to replace for sure.
                Yes, the magneto should be inspected, cracked/split coils will have to be replaced. The carburetor should be disassembled, cleaned and inspected. It is best to replace all the carb gaskets/float/inlet needle-seat using an OEM “carburetor kit”. Yes, replace the fuel lines and check the fuel filter inlet screen. Do not pull that fuel pump completely apart, you will be sorry if you do, just remove the black plastic inlet cover.
                OMC recommended a 50:1 fuel/oil mix for this engine…But, I would recommend a heavier oil mix to protect the plain connecting rod bushing/bearings, consider mixing at 24:1 using a good quality TCW-3 outboard oil.

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Recommend you do not use gasoline with ethanol in it if you can get ethanol-free gas where you live. Same for all old small engines. Ethanol will attack some parts – notably the protective covering on the cork carb float.
                  Dave

Dana Watkins
                  Participant

Thanks for all these responses. As I said above, this outboard is remarkably clean, however, while putting it up on a stand and looking it over more I see that it is missing the fuel pump!! This is a major situation obviously, because an OEM (part #0381815) is up around $140. Any suggestions anyone? Mumbles, you mentioned you had the same motor on your to do rack but missing the powerhead. Any chance you would have the fuel pump? fleetwin, thanks especially to you for your lengthy advise. Do you have any suggestions for me?

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

common fuel pump … just ordered some on amazon for $6.99 no taxes in CDN money !! Ok I said in another post that hey pass air both ways but I can fix that .

the ones on amazon have a thicker base…… so longer mounting bolts are needed just make certain you the 1/4 inch extra spacing to clear the hood

no need to blow $140 ….

fyi …. prices have jump back up around $10

https://www.amazon.ca/DEALPEAK-18-7350-Gasket-Johnson-Evinrude/dp/B07MV6B6VH/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=omc+fuel+pump&qid=1615510005&sr=8-16

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by crosbyman.
                      • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by crosbyman.
                      fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well I would look for a used one, I might even have one. The thing to be careful about is that although most of these little pumps “look the same”, they are not. You will see a little tab on the plastic housing that says “up”, and must be oriented this way for the pump to work properly. Also, the outlet nipples might be oriented differently also. I will look for one when I get home in a few days. Buying a used on online is a gamble, because it may or may not work, not to mention it might not be the right one for your engine….So, consider buying a used one to be “a gamble”, unless it is returnable.
                        There are many “knock off” versions of these pumps online for bargain prices. Don’t know if I would trust them, another “gamble”, unless they are returnable. One thing is for sure, do not attempt to disassemble one to “rebuild” it, many are not rebuildable. If you attempt it, be ready for springs/cups to come flying out when you pull it apart. You need to mark the orientation of each piece before pulling it apart…Disassemble it in a clean plastic food storage container, so the pieces won’t go far when them come flying out…D

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.