Home Forum Ask A Member Help getting my 67 Evinrude 3hp started

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

Australia!

Australia?? Aw heck, some of the saltiest motors are in Australia. All bets are off when it comes to water blockage.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m not sure I believe those gage readings…But, areas 5&6 are within normal range…Try taking one more reading, right on the aluminum ID core plug located on the outlet flow from the powerhead. That engine doesn’t look like it has seen salt water but who knows…The paint is all off the block, so may have overheated at some point. I think you will be OK if you just replace the impeller using an OEM piece. But, have a close look at the aluminum water pump housing and SS plate, these items should be replaced if badly grooved or pitted.
        This is a special engine because it is a folder complete with its case. So, you may want to consider pulling the exhaust cover and head at some point, the passages are small and get partially/plugged easily especially in salt water. I would probably pull the powerhead to check the rubber water tube grommet also. Again, I am only saying this because I would want to preserve this special engine, not because I think there is a cooling issue at this time…

Elecmuso
        Participant

Actually no case.
          I’ve put the motor aside until I get a carb kit. As I’m in Australis they are not as readily available so I will be ordering one probably off ebay. Problem is Ive seen many negative reviews about some kits especially the gasket disintegrating. These are no doubt substandard kits from China. So if someone can recommend a reputable kit which includes a plastic float that delivers to Aus at a reasonable rate please let me know! The oem ones I’ve seen so far have an exlensive shipping cost.

Elecmuso
          Participant

Once I’ve installed that I’ll do some more temp measurements.

reivertom
            Participant

US Member

I don’t know if anybody mentioned this yet, but don’t use lawn mower fuel mix. You should only use 2 stroke oil mix with a water cooled motor. It has different burning traits than an air cooled motor. I would suggest using around 24/1 ratio if you run it much instead of 50/1. Oil is cheaper than piston and bearing wear.

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.