Home Forum Ask A Member Help getting my 67 Evinrude 3hp started

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

put a piece of Tye wrap on the top plug wire so you won’t mix them up ! the old wires had a tag crimped over the top wire showing “TOP”

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

lindy46
      Participant

US Member

Get a genuine OMC/BRP carb kit with float. You probably just need a new gasket on the gas cap. Once you run it awhile at faster speeds, the smoking won’t be so bad.

Elecmuso
        Participant

Next challenge will e the cooling system. Gather this is where the water should be exiting? It isn’t!

Impeller looked good.

Water_outlet

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Elecmuso.
          crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

looks isn’t a reliable test …. change the impeller !

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Elecmuso
            Participant

I’ve been looking at a ot of youtube videos and none of them show much on the way of water coming out of those holes. Perhaps it is ‘normal’ and I should look for even a small flow (I’ll only run it for a minima time). Is there a way to tell if the engine is staying cool without actually observing a particular rate of water exiting the exhaust? Are these typical of ‘normal flow’?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il32U14RadY&t=2s
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9DjSkyNloI

lindy46
              Participant

US Member

You won’t see a lot of water coming out – only a “mist” or “weeping”. Those little engines run a little on the hot side. You can check the block while running. Splash a little water on it. It shouldn’t boil off. Temp should be 145-160 degrees. I agree, always put in a new impeller on a new-to-you motor.

frankr
                Participant

US Member

You will see only droplets of water which just happen to blow out by the exhaust. The flat plate on the side of the powerhead gets blazingly hot. There is fire on the other side of that plate. They also get pretty hot right around the spark plugs, but further out should be cooler.

Congrats on getting that folding Lightwin.

Elecmuso
                  Participant

Thanks for the help. Yes I will put in new impeller but I don’t have iit yet.

Are the folding lightwins particularly desirable at least from a collector’s point of view?

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

A matter of personal interest, I suppose. Non-folders are plentiful. Not so many folders. Un-broken cases are hard to find.

Elecmuso
                      Participant

So I had another look and that 2nd video above is pretty much exactly what I get – so I guess it is in fact running normally.
                        I have one of these at work so I’ll take some measurements.
                        https://www.electricburst.com.au/products/non-contact-thermometer-with-dual-laser-targeting-qm7221?variant=302279775&currency=AUD&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtOjyBRC0ARIsAIpJyGNMRWIF-MQstMgUaJBOOR8fKrwluqfvzZ3vpTHJpUKEw50JwXRAbMYaAjySEALw_wcB
                        I have a feeling those temperatures are going to be scarily high though – you are right that flat plate on the side of the powerhead gets real hot.

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 85 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.