Home Forum Ask A Member How do Atom Computer Ignition modules work?

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    debe
    Participant

Very neat looking.

weedlessdrive
      Participant
        quote debe:

If you go to Photo bucket debe5 there is a video of my home made module on a running Victa 2stroke lawn mower. Also pictures of my outboard with the module on to see if they worked & they do. If you want to go in to the theory of how they work, read the US patent refered to in a previous post. It has taken me over 2 years to find a suitable transistor (2SD1071) that would work in this circuit. I found on some Ignition systems the transistor would break down. To over come this I added the 15KE200A to reduce the high voltage spikes. This then made the module reliable.

How is 15KE200A soldered in? I can’t tell where the leads go to on it?
        Thanks
        Marty

debe
        Participant

The white band end goes to the Collector of the transistor & the other end goes to the Emitter.

legendre
          Participant
            quote WeedlessDrive:

Garry this is Ken W’s module. I would like to see how it’s done though. He obviously has some great skills.

It looks to be built on a piece of generic proto board with plated-through holes. The letters along the edge are probably part of a longer alphabetic sequence, used to aid the builder in laying out and documenting the circuit. It may also have had a sequence of numbers printed along the other edge of the complete board.

Incidentally, the high-voltage Darlington transistors have arrived, ten pieces total. If anyone is interested in building a module, go ahead and PM me, and I’ll ship you a couple for my cost.

ETA: I have the 1N6303A / 15KE200A diodes on order, and would be happy to include them in a packet, for anyone interested in building up one or more of these modules.

ken-w
            Participant

US Member

The proto board was found on eBay, I cut into holes16x16. Awaiting for the big diode so the layout will change a little. Still have not tested so this package might not work, still trying to figure out to mount this baby.

debe
              Participant

What I use to test a module before seting it in resin, is I use a test unit which is an old Seagull engine with out the barrel & piston clamped in a vice. Usualy just pull it over with a starting cord is all that’s needed. When I was checking for higher speed reliability on the bench, used an electric drill to drive it. The ultimate test was the video of using it on a lawnmower for over an hour cutting grass on a hot day.

legendre
                Participant

I went ahead and ordered 10 pcs. of the 1N6303A / 15KE200A diodes, as they are also key to the design. These should show up sometime in the next week.

Again my offer is open – if anyone wants to experiment with building module(s), I’ll be happy to send these parts out at my own cost – no markup.

weedlessdrive
                  Participant

I’m having a hard time finding the .47uf capacitor that looks like the one in the picture.

debe
                    Participant

Doesn’t matter if it doesn’t look the same, so long as its .47uf 50v should be ok. I used 100v as they were physicaly quite small.

legendre
                      Participant

Hey debe (or anyone who knows),

The batch of 2SD1071s I received are measuring with a β of around 20 on my automagic component tester. The data sheet gives one spec for β, and it’s a +minimum+ of 500.

Is this tester artifact? Perhaps something caused by the internal diodes, one of which is a Zener, tripping up the tester? The error is a factor of 25…

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 216 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.