Home Forum Ask A Member How to : Evinrude Speeditwin ..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Phelps
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hello all !
      New member here trying to learn .. I’m not the sharpest with anything mechanical . I sometimes find it hard to keep my lawnmower running ..LOL!
      Anyway I have the original motor on a Wagemaker Wolverine 1950 wooden boat I have restored . Now it’s time to try and figure out how to make it go ..
      Model # 6039-26688 21.5 hp I believe .. Everything looks to be there I even have a tiller handle for it but it was run with cable steering .
      I have no idea how long ago it was run so what are my steps for resurrection.. When I first got it I took the plugs out and squirted some wd 40 in the cylinders and turned it over by hand . It’s free and the prop is turning with it .
      Should I do a tear down of everything first ? Hopefully not .Lol! I know I should take the tank off and clean and make sure the lines are clean .. Clean carb ?
      Any help would be great ! Hopefully I won’t sound too dumb in the process .. Ignorant maybe ! LOL !
      Hopefully I can figure out ow to attach some pics …
      Thanks !

1529B4E3-C287-45B1-9F31-AB4809F0BB15

003DAD99-DC41-4448-A5C4-DB16231B753C

05006BB8-81A2-4468-82D5-91F5FBD170F9

3CD0A4C8-9B0C-44EA-BB91-B0C13FD03A15

Samuel Phelps
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Btw, this is the boat that it will be on .. Should I have posted this on current projects ?

B9A03711-609E-481A-ABD9-C18E9269A757

EA82C5C6-08BC-4AED-B107-B97EFCE4AD05

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Samuel Phelps.
        • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Samuel Phelps.
        Randy in Tampa
        Participant

First put a 50-50 mix of gasoline and TCW3 oil in the cylinders if you can turn the motor upside down so you can get the mix into the upper main bearing, grease up the lower unit , I like to run NGK AB6 plugs in my speeditwin. I’ve never taken one apart before running if it feels smooth …. that’s my two cents worth 🧐

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

bobw
          Participant

US Member

Sam,
            Welcome to the club and this forum where you will lots of folks willing to lend their advice and knowledge. First, I’ll offer up my congrats on a great looking boat and motor combination!

I don’t have any experience with the Speeditwin but there are lots of members here that do. But seems to me first step would be to verify the cylinder compression and whether or not you have ignition spark. I would certainly check the fuel tank and lines for dirt or gummed up old fuel which would need to be addressed before you attempt to start/run the motor.

I’m sure the Speeditwin experts will chime in.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Samuel Phelps
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for responding guys !
              Ok so how much of the 50/50 mix should I put in the cylinders ? Just fill then put the plugs back in ? I just had back surgery a few weeks ago so I will have to get my son or sil to help do the lifting .
              How long do I leave it upside down ? Procedure for greasing the lower unit ?
              I have a compression tester . Do I leave one of the plugs in to do the test or do they both need to be removed ..

David Bartlett
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Randy gave good advice. Only need a little fuel/oil mix in the cylinders to lubricate things.

I would pull the flywheel and clean and gap the points, then clean the carb and pull the rope. These are fun motors. Make sure the flywheel is TIGHT!!!!!

David Bartlett
                Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

RICHARD A. WHITE
                Participant

Lifetime Member

That tank looks FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                  classicomctools@gmail.com

george-emmanuel
                  Participant

US Member

Sam, didn’t you display that rig at the Sunnyland Show in March? Do you live in Florida?—If so, get in contact with me and come to a meet. One thing about using the gas/oil in the cylinders is to make sure the piston has closed off the ports otherwise the mixture flows out.

George

352 2193730

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

I love those Speeditwins. The basic design dates to the early 1930s. Yours was about the final year of production. This is page 21. All page 20 said about the Speeditwin was to install the spark plugs – just like it says for the Speedifour. . .

\

Samuel Phelps
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sam, didn’t you display that rig at the Sunnyland Show in March? Do you live in Florida?—If so, get in contact with me and come to a meet. One thing about using the gas/oil in the cylinders is to make sure the piston has closed off the ports otherwise the mixture flows out.

George

352 2193730

Yep George that was me down at the Dora show .. I’ve spoke via email with you recently and are planning to go to the Yellow Jacket meet in September .. I hope to have the Speetitwin up and running by then fingers crossed . I have not dunked her yet so maybe we can make that a splash day with a proper Christening !
                        Thanks everyone for the guidance ! I need all the help I can get !
                        BTW , Garry , that is an awesome diagram you posted ! I already made a copy of it to study … Thanks !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 44 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.