Home Forum Ask A Member How to : Evinrude Speeditwin ..

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant

US Member

Perhaps I’m stating the obvious, but I’ve seen some people run into trouble here… When you test spark on this motor, and most other opposed twins, you need to ground one wire and test the other. Or just leave plugs attached, lay both plugs on the block someplace, and spin the flywheel.

T

Samuel Phelps
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Tom won’t just using an in line spark test light work without removing the plugs ?
        I reset the points to .020 . Tried starting and would start so I started moving the timing lever to the left thinking it was the correct way and it would still backfire and shut off . So looking at the front of the motor I moved timing to the right . This gave much better results so I guess I miss understood pulling back the timing .
        So a few questions .
        I hooked the tiller arm and there seems to be a bit of play in the cable . This pic shows the location of the butterfly valve when it’s at start position on the handle . About a 1/ 4’’. Open .

6D60E063-08FF-4EFB-A12A-32FE9001D8B7

Is this correct ? When on slow it will close off completely..
        also trying to understand the high speed adjustment wheel . After the motor starts what doI set that wheel to .
        Anyone know of a video that explains the running procedure ?
        Ok one more ? Is it ok to take the prop off while running in the tank . Or will it mess up the lower unit at high rpm when it’s off …
        Thanks for any help guys ! Here is my tank set up ….

AB54A529-7ED6-46EC-8984-49DC3316B5E4

Samuel Phelps
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ok let’s see if this works ..
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pwFjKTlVYPk

David Bartlett
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sam,

Looks like you’re off to a good start. Put her on a boat and hang on!

David Bartlett
            Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Samuel Phelps
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah I’m ready to give it a go . What are your thoughts on running in salt water ? I have a good ride if I want to dunk it in fresh water …

David Bartlett
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If it were my motor, I would take the ride. But it’s yours so you can make the call.

David Bartlett
                Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Samuel Phelps
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m breaking the motor down a bit to clean up for paint .
                  I was going to take the muffler unit off and was wondering if it’s possible to take the muffler off without dropping the lower unit . It has the big tube attaching from one to the other .
                  I would rather not take the foot apart if possible .

1937 speeditwin
                  Participant

What luck!! I have one of these motors trying to get running also!! Mine is a 22.5hp and it was run about 45 years ago. The motor turns over easy but there is no spark. Does the condenser go bad?
                    Points might need cleaning or what about the magneto? Any suggestion would be great. Sam, where are located? State?

Samuel Phelps
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What luck!! I have one of these motors trying to get running also!! Mine is a 22.5hp and it was run about 45 years ago. The motor turns over easy but there is no spark. Does the condenser go bad?

Points might need cleaning or what about the magneto? Any suggestion would be great. Sam, where are located? State?

I’m new to these outboards myself so not much help with diagnosis.. I couldn’t get spark with mine also but I guess I was checking the wrong way .. But I got it running so the spark was there … I guess any part could go bad . I would clean the points really good and check the gap . I’m not sure on your motor but I was told to set it at .020 .. Get some fresh plugs clean the tank ,lines , and carb .. Fresh fuel /oil mix , put it in the tank and see if it lives …
                      I live in Northeast Florida …

The Boat House
                      Participant

This should tighten up your mixturs screw.

Carb

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 44 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.