Home Forum Ask A Member Impeller fab – if you had your druthers

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    kirkp
    Participant

50:1, didn’t see anything on oldmercs but see Joe has something. I’ll look into it further.

Buc, do you have any dimensions on the stock unit? There are some impeller size charts floating around but unfortunately they are lacking on a lot of Sierra impellers out there. To bad Sierra doesn’t have a link tied to the sizes of various impellers they sell.

Kirk

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

50:1, didn’t see anything on oldmercs but see Joe has something. I’ll look into it further.

Buc, do you have any dimensions on the stock unit? There are some impeller size charts floating around but unfortunately they are lacking on a lot of Sierra impellers out there. To bad Sierra doesn’t have a link tied to the sizes of various impellers they sell.

Kirk

Kirk, I have some of the charts and decided the best candidate for my Flambeau was
        a Sierra 18-3073. If all goes well, I should only have to bore out the shaft hole a hair.

Prepare to be boarded!

kirkp
        Participant

Buc, I was doing some looking last night and I also came up with the 18-3073 or the 18-3097. Looks like they have the same dimensions so not sure what the difference there is.
          Kirk

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Buc, I was doing some looking last night and I also came up with the 18-3073 or the 18-3097. Looks like they have the same dimensions so not sure what the difference there is.
            Kirk

Kirk, I ordered the 3073. I’ll look at the 3097 ……. don’t think I seen
            that one before. Thanks!

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
            Participant

kirkp
              Participant

Very good point Tubs. Looking at the impeller I removed, the rubber stands proud of the brass insert. I agree that it would be something to be concerned about. I would guess (but may be wrong) that factory impellers still use brass or are some of them plastic like the Sierra one that Joe modified?
                Kirk

geary
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi again guys,
                  Fifty20ne, I see you found the article on thinning an impeller, it’s a lot easier to understand with pictures ! Here’s another site I’ve used for trying to cross over an impeller from a different manufacture. The nice thing about it is they give all the dimensions for their impellers making it a lot easier, well maybe not a lot easier as the dimensions are in metric 😆 ! Just adds a little challenge to the job !

Gary

http://www.flexible-impeller.com/p-Water-Pump-Impellers-for-Outboard-266490/MERCURY-Mariner-Outboard-Impellers-266598/

fifty20ne
                  Participant

US Member

Hi Gary,

Thanks for all your hard work and effort to help all AOMCI members get an old motor running!
                    Doing it wrong can get you hurt and wastes money and time!

PS: do you know what OMC impeller can be modified for early “K” series like KD-4 etc.. Early Mercury’s!

Thanks,

Bob

Mercury-Outboards-Through-the-Years0015

kirkp
                    Participant

Bob, from what I’ve seen it would seem to be Sierra 18-3072. Have I misread things?
                      Kirk

kirkp
                      Participant

Well took another look at the old impeller and something became very obvious. I shouldn’t rely on my memory as I earlier said it was 1.5″ OD. Actually the center hub is 1.1875″ dia and the vanes are about .44″ long which would give a OD of 2.06″. This is larger than the Sierra impeller that has been modified for use. Have to ponder this a bit. Anyway attached is a pic of the old impeller.

Also, Gary thanks for the article. Have to give it a read here soon.

Kirk

impeller-3

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.