Home Forum Ask A Member Impeller fab – if you had your druthers

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    fifty20ne
    Participant

US Member

I need on like this 1/2 ” .500 i.d.
      I know there is an OMC impeller the has right i.d., height, and drive pin arrangement
      You just have to turn O.D. down, ( smaller).

Does anyone know the OMC impeller part #?

Thanks,

Bob

IMG_4285

green-thumbs
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mercury Part # 47-24447 for vane type impeller
        Mercury Part # 47-24427 for oscillator type (formerly M-50-137)

Reason for brass hub in most impeller is because when rubber is molded by vulcanizing process (heat) it does not stick or bond as well to steel as it does to brass or copper. The core for 47-24447 vane type
        impeller is a substantial piece of brass with some machining…both of
        which make for high costs compared to molded plastic or nylon core.
        Steel can be given a copper flash plating to which rubber will bond
        however, plastic has replaced metal in many applications due to improved plastics and cost advantages.of injection molding over processes to form metal.

Several points worth noting in photos
        1) C spring is a later replacement…had to get a tool at Sears to remove
        2) If you open up water pump and find an incomplete impeller, chances
        are some of the rest is still somewhere in cooling water system
        3) 1940 propeller does not have the cushion in back of hub and is sheer pin drive. 1941 and later models have the recess in back of hub
        for rubber cushion and are adapted for either rubber clutch or sheer pin.
        4) NOS oscillator had a tag on 47-24427…Mercury Part # Would you
        have reached for your wallet as fast as I did? Sellers of parts often
        are only interested in moving the merchandise at a profit. It pays to
        know what you are looking at.
        5) The seal in 3 slit type water pump is a bugger to remove, but, replacement is often way past due. Seal is a stock item 4923

IMG_8334

IMG_8338

IMG_8340

IMG_8345

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by green-thumbs.
        • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by green-thumbs.
        • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
        geary
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Kirk,
          I was surprised to see that your original impeller was a 5 blade as most of the ones I’ve seen are 6 ? Can you take a picture of the actual pump cavity and show how much offset there is from the prop shaft to the sides of the cavity, also the dimensions i.e. inside diameter, depth and shaft diameter ? Hopefully to show the intake and discharge ports in the pump housing ? Knowing how a flexible impeller pump works as the impeller rotates and creates the positive and negative pressures makes it easier to see if another style impeller will work when installed ! I’m betting a 6 or even 8 blade impeller would work just fine in your engine !

Thanks

Gary

kirkp
          Participant

Gary, I’ll work on pulling together the info you asked for. I don’t have any profound thoughts about the 5 blade design or how long it’s been in there. I would think awhile since all the vanes are worn to a point. Don’t see why a 6 blade wouldn’t work and maybe even a 8 blade. I noticed on the impeller list that’s been floating around that the majority on the list are 6 blade.

Louis, awhile back you posted a pic of a vaned impeller along side a wobbler impeller. (pic below) Was this a 24447 impeller? I printed it off and scaled the dimensions and it worked out to 2.06″. Happen to remember where this impeller was purchased from?

Kirk

impeller-1

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, that is an impeller for a 3 slit water pump. I purchased it years ago
              from Grubb East Coast Marine. At the time his supplier had decided to
              stop making impellers. So it is No Longer Available. Mr Grubb retired not
              long after.
              As for outside diameter, look at the vane impeller in preceding thread. notice that the vanes take a set which in effect reduces diameter. In this
              case I believe “Close enough is good enough”
              The STRONG stream of water flowing out to Joe B’ s Wizard WD3 indicates that as long as impeller is reasonably close to original that
              the motor is happy. AND MUCH better than worn out or on their last
              legs impeller. A friend had the unhappy experience with his Mark 30
              impeller that shed its vanes…scored cylinders before he was
              aware water pump was kaput.
              Louis

For what it is worth, every original impeller I have seen was 5 blade
              while replacements all seem to be 6 blade. Perhaps a patent issue.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.