Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson 18hp FD14 1960

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I would not bless him with a such honorable title if he screwed up a water pump… and did not tell you he messed up while taking your money !

other qualifications apply in this case

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

piddler
      Participant

OK Everybody
        I am an official Member now. You folks were just too impressive not to join.
        Thrilled to belong

Piddler

piddler
        Participant

FD-11-Water-Tube-0303917

This is the part. Looks like mine just not sure how long it is. Also Mine may pull out. Still working prior to digging in

piddler
          Participant

The beveled end is showing on mine now.

labrador-guy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Welcome pippler! The pickle cut end goes down. The squared end goes up and it should stay there when assembling. A little sealer on the top end will help it stay there. A little grease on the pointed end will help also. If you have a spare 3 or 4 inch 3/8 coarse tread bolt that you can cut the head off with a hacksaw. You can put it in the big bolt hole in the lower unit (gear case). Use the bolt as a guide pin when trying to slide the cases back together. It is hard to see for alignment but once you understand how it goes together it will be a piece of cake!

dale

Mumbles
              Participant

When reassembling these units, the driveshaft splines, shift linkage, and water tube all have to line up together. Lightly greasing the water tube and its rubber grommet in the pump and the splines and marking the shift rod for its correct position will help to make the job easier. If the copper tube is loose, it may need turning to help line it up. Sometimes I hold a small flashlight in my mouth while doing this and align the tube by hooking on to it with a piece of wire. It can be done.

Shift-Rod-Connector-2

Shift-Rod-Connector-1

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
                Steve D
                Participant

FD-11-Water-Tube-0303917

This is the part. Looks like mine just not sure how long it is. Also Mine may pull out. Still working prior to digging in

water-tube-length-18-HP

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, I just looked at your pictures again….The top picture is from marineengine.com, the bottom picture (with the ruler) is actually your water tube….Do I have it right?
                    If so, it doesn’t really look bent, but who knows. I don’t have a water tube handy, but will look and measure it if I find one. For now, please be sure you understand what LG said about the water tube orientation…The square cut fits up inside the exhaust housing grommet. The angular cut end fits down into the water pump grommet. The angular cut makes it a little easier to align the water tube with the impeller housing grommet.
                    At this point I would reinstall the water tube into the exhaust housing, then I would install the aluminum impeller housing/grommet assembly up into the exhaust housing until it engages with the copper water tube sufficiently. If the bottom of the aluminum impeller housing is roughly even with the bottom of the gearcase, then it is safe to assume you have the correct water tube and it isn’t bent/distorted excessively. There is a fit issue if the bottom of the impeller housing is up inside the exhaust housing when engaged sufficiently with the tube….
                    Tell us more about the history of this engine. Did you just buy it? If not, why is it that you brought it to the mechanic to begin with? Was it overheating? Did you just bring it in for a routine water pump servicing? Forgive me if I didn’t read your post carefully, will go back and reread it now…D

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by fleetwin.
                    Steve D
                    Participant

Piddler, You said on the 1st page, 2nd post, that you thought your water tube was short so I posted a picture of one from one of my 18s to show you what the approx. length should be. I don’t know why it would be short (maybe as fleetwin mentioned it got bent or deformed). But pull it out and verify its length and that it’s not deformed, then you can move on to some of the other suggestions that are given.

labrador-guy
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Pid, you got it right! You should check and make sure the drive pin is spinning the water pump impeller. Take the three screws out of the housing and look it over before reassembling. Not rocket science! The little water paddle has gotta go around to make it pump.

dale

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.