Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson CD-14 Frozen Pinion Gear-Shock Absorber

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    James Tapscott
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a Johnson 5.5 hp, CD-14, ser.#1577674 that was run with a dry lower unit. I’ve stripped the lower unit and found the pinion gear and/or shock absorber are frozen (rusted). I’m currently soaking it in Evapo-Rust but it still won’t turn. Would appreciate any advice on how to un-freeze it. Also, does the shock absorber drop down and out the bottom with the pinion gear, or does it pull up and away from the pinion gear?

Thanks for your help.

Jimmy T.

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Those shock absorbers can be a real pain! They will only come out through the top. The water pump holds a plate under it that has a gasket and it is usually stuck on pretty good. You probably know that the power head must come off to get at the water pump. Good winter project ’cause it is a major tear down. Not a bad job once you do one! As for the rust, you will have a lot of cleaning to do and that should take care of alot of the rust. On these motors the brass bushings hold up better that bearings when it comes to water in the gear case. Take some pictures, lower seal on the engine is important to get back in right.

dale

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

tried posting 3 utubes …….POOF 🙁

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
          Participant

tried posting 3 utubes …….POOF 🙁

To post a YouTube video here, select the video you want and after clicking the ‘share’ button, copy and paste the code which appears. That’s all there is to it.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Sorry, i was not posting the video per say…… just the link info

since when are url (links) being Poofed out of existence by edits on our website like the infamous boatinfo.xxx link ???

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
              Mumbles
              Participant
                crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                  crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                    The Boat House
                    Participant

James Tapscott
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Crosbyman! Video is a big help. I have the water pump and drive shaft out, but the sock absorber won’t budge, or turn. Rusted I guess. So its still soaking in Evapo-Rust. I’ll try to grab the shock absorber with pliers, but if it won’t come out, how can I get the pinion gear off the bottom end? If I could get the pinion gear off, then I could try to drive the shock absorber off from underneath with a wood stick (so I don’t damage the absorber). Any other ideas much appreciated.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 45 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.