low cost carb kits ….

Home Forum Ask A Member low cost carb kits ….

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
    crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1985
    Topics: 222

posting link info because of display failure

ok I know some carb gaskets (orange) haved melted but… at $5 you get misc parts and a float !!!!

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatarcrosbyman.
    • This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatarcrosbyman.
    Attachments:
    russ

Replies: 42
    Topics: 48

Are these carb kits on Amazon .ca.Called OMC dealer in Woodstock ont yesterdy for needle valve packing washers.$5.50 each and carb kit now $50.00. Russ…

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

image wont link to amazon … recopy the link info in the attached picture carb-link .jpg to reach it

hurry they are going fast

seakaye12
    seakaye12

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 622
    Topics: 95

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=b07vb2m5t4&ref=nb_sb_noss
    US Version is more $$$
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=b07vb2m5t4&ref=nb_sb_noss

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by seakaye12seakaye12.
    crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

the kit included a $2 coupon rebate but ordering 5 only gave a $2 rebate….. call me cheap… I expected 5x$2 in rebates 🙂 ho well I should have ordered 5 individual kits 🙂

btw these kits probably have the metric jet which don’t fit but for the price the other parts are fine

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatarcrosbyman.
    Mumbles
    Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4850
    Topics: 268

The threads on the float valve are not metric but just haven’t been cut deep enough and require chasing with a dye. After chasing the threads, they work great.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

what thread size dye should I use to shape it ?

my error seems I read not to long ago it was metric… if not well that is great news ..i’ll have a few spares 🙂 I gave up on because they would not screw in the carbs

I will try to recut the threads with my famous “Master Craft” kit 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatarcrosbyman.
    Mumbles
    Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years

The threads are 5/16 – 24 and I like to run the it thru the back side of the dye after running it thru from the front side. This way the threads get cut all the way down to the head. The original screwdriver slot is pretty small to so it can get enlarged with a Dremel.

DSC00090

Attachments:
    Mumbles
    Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’ve used some of these style Chinglish kits in the past and haven’t had any problems with them yet, although the motors with them on haven’t been used much. One thing I found besides the float valve threads needing chasing was the plastic washers for the packing washers are too large and I had to use some spare left over ones. Maybe I should pull a carb off and check the condition of the gaskets as It’s been close to a year now.

These cheap kits are also ‘Add On’ items with a purchase of $25 or more. Time to go shopping soon!!

Carb-Kits-

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by MumblesMumbles.
    Attachments:
    bill-mcnamara

Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 216
    Topics: 55

Ordered some of these kits to have a look and give them a try.
    Got some for big twins, and some for smaller motors like 18, 10, etc.
    As mentioned, the threads on the needle seats required a little work, but otherwise look fine!

Thanks for the “heads-up” guys! Good supply of bits and pieces.

Bill.

P.S. The floats are hollow, instead of being made from foam.
    Larger kits seem to be missing the main jet seal.
    Smaller kits also contain a fairly large do-nut that looks more like a shift-rod seal?

Matthew Pieklik

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 39
    Topics: 21

Just my thoughts…. I rather have OEM in my American made Outboard. I know my OEM parts will fit and last. I don’t want to get sub standard parts , cob them up to make them fit then wait for a failure. I know they are cheap but now so is the motor. When I bring an old relic back to life with the parts that were meant to be in there, I know it will be reliable for a long time. I stick with OEM or American made.

DAN UMBARGER

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 80
    Topics: 9

I pick and choose what I purchase. With the OMC’s I like OEM carb kits with the exception of EMP carb kits…I was told by my Donovan parts sales rep that EMP makes OMC’s carb kits. Sierra’s OMC carb kits don’t usually come with the floats but some do. I’m OK with Sierra’s water pump kits for Mercs and OMC’s but I have had numerous problems with their Yamaha w/pump kits so I only use OEM for the Yamahas. I can see trying the cheap carb kits on your own motors when they were $5.00 but the price sure jumped lately. I have a little bit of an advantage as I am a dealer so I don’t have to pay retail for my personal parts. Just my .02

Mumbles
    Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years

Something which hasn’t been mentioned here is the availability of the much preferred OMC/BRP parts. In my case, here in Victoria BC, which is a medium size city, we used to have two long time OMC dealers where I could purchase or order parts from for my motors. About seven years ago, a BRP rep was in town visiting the dealers and since they both also sold other lines of outboards, such as Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda etc. along with BRP outboards, he promptly cut of their access to the BRP warehouses in both Vancouver and Seattle. They were not devoted BRP dealers and lost their connection to the company, which seemed like BRP shooting themselves in the foot to me.

Since I have well over 100 OMC built motors here at any given time with more wanting to move in all the time, obtaining OEM parts for them has become a major challenge. The old stock at the two dealers has pretty much dried up as both dealers sold their remaining stock to Seaway in Seattle. Buying parts out of the USA is questionable to as I have to take into account the exchange rate of the Canadian dollar, which adds on 25-30% of any prices shown in US dollars. To add insult to injury, shipping costs on top start at a bare minimum of $20-$25 plus Global Shipping fees if purchased from Ebay. And this is if the seller will even ship to Canada, which a lot of them don’t. And please don’t recommend Marine Engine with their over inflated prices! They used to ship to Canada, but not anymore. When they did, I used them once for some urgently needed parts and when they did arrive, it was a brown UPS delivery truck which pulled in my driveway. The driver would not hand over the package until I had payed him some extra fees such as import fees or excise taxes which weren’t mentioned by M.E. This came as a shock but since I needed the parts, I had to pay.

What started out years ago as a very affordable hobby has slowly turned into a bit of a nightmare now. Pension cheques don’t quite cover the costs as well as pay cheques used to so I have to keep my eyes open for any good deals I can find now. Fortunately, if a part is unobtainable and can be made, I do have tooling in the shop to make it or repair it with. I used to roll my eyes when I heard of people reusing old points instead of replacing them, but I do that now to after polishing them since I can’t find new ones anywhere for a decent price. Same with OEM condensers, I use Vishay caps now. The list goes on. Offshore coils, offshore water pump kits, offshore carb kits etc. Not because of choice but because of necessity. The writing is on the wall and it’s the way of the future. The good old days of using OEM parts are over for me.

OK, my rant is over to and I’m off my soap box but I just want you all to understand why I buy these cheap parts now. It’s a case of eat or be eaten.

On another thought, I have lots of NOS OMC parts which I’ve been thinking of letting go along with thinning out the heard of motors around here a bit. In the end, keeping a few motors for my personal use. We’ll see. Something which has sparked my interest lately is lawn mower racing or mud mowers. I have six riders now with one currently being lowered 4″ and possibly being shortened a bit. Mowers are a dime a dozen around here just like old outboards used to be and parts are readily available. See how these crazy hobbies start?

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3743
    Topics: 38

Just my thoughts…. I rather have OEM in my American made Outboard. I know my OEM parts will fit and last. I don’t want to get sub standard parts , cob them up to make them fit then wait for a failure. I know they are cheap but now so is the motor. When I bring an old relic back to life with the parts that were meant to be in there, I know it will be reliable for a long time. I stick with OEM or American made.

I’m with you buddy….D

outbdnut2

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1519
    Topics: 77

If it’s a motor I plan to use a lot, then I’m more apt to get the OMC parts. If it is going to be a garage queen , maybe used once every year or two, then the cheapie parts make sense for me. I do like to put OMC parts in motors I fix for friends and neighbors, but often I give them a choice of the parts and prices – all I charge them for is parts, and often parts off parts motors I give them free.
    Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.