low cost carb kits ….

Home Forum Ask A Member low cost carb kits ….

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)

• Matthew Pieklik

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 117
    Topics: 46

Just my thoughts…. I rather have OEM in my American made Outboard. I know my OEM parts will fit and last. I don’t want to get sub standard parts , cob them up to make them fit then wait for a failure. I know they are cheap but now so is the motor. When I bring an old relic back to life with the parts that were meant to be in there, I know it will be reliable for a long time. I stick with OEM or American made.

DAN UMBARGER

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 207
    Topics: 28

I pick and choose what I purchase. With the OMC’s I like OEM carb kits with the exception of EMP carb kits…I was told by my Donovan parts sales rep that EMP makes OMC’s carb kits. Sierra’s OMC carb kits don’t usually come with the floats but some do. I’m OK with Sierra’s water pump kits for Mercs and OMC’s but I have had numerous problems with their Yamaha w/pump kits so I only use OEM for the Yamahas. I can see trying the cheap carb kits on your own motors when they were $5.00 but the price sure jumped lately. I have a little bit of an advantage as I am a dealer so I don’t have to pay retail for my personal parts. Just my .02

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Something which hasn’t been mentioned here is the availability of the much preferred OMC/BRP parts. In my case, here in Victoria BC, which is a medium size city, we used to have two long time OMC dealers where I could purchase or order parts from for my motors. About seven years ago, a BRP rep was in town visiting the dealers and since they both also sold other lines of outboards, such as Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda etc. along with BRP outboards, he promptly cut of their access to the BRP warehouses in both Vancouver and Seattle. They were not devoted BRP dealers and lost their connection to the company, which seemed like BRP shooting themselves in the foot to me.

Since I have well over 100 OMC built motors here at any given time with more wanting to move in all the time, obtaining OEM parts for them has become a major challenge. The old stock at the two dealers has pretty much dried up as both dealers sold their remaining stock to Seaway in Seattle. Buying parts out of the USA is questionable to as I have to take into account the exchange rate of the Canadian dollar, which adds on 25-30% of any prices shown in US dollars. To add insult to injury, shipping costs on top start at a bare minimum of $20-$25 plus Global Shipping fees if purchased from Ebay. And this is if the seller will even ship to Canada, which a lot of them don’t. And please don’t recommend Marine Engine with their over inflated prices! They used to ship to Canada, but not anymore. When they did, I used them once for some urgently needed parts and when they did arrive, it was a brown UPS delivery truck which pulled in my driveway. The driver would not hand over the package until I had payed him some extra fees such as import fees or excise taxes which weren’t mentioned by M.E. This came as a shock but since I needed the parts, I had to pay.

What started out years ago as a very affordable hobby has slowly turned into a bit of a nightmare now. Pension cheques don’t quite cover the costs as well as pay cheques used to so I have to keep my eyes open for any good deals I can find now. Fortunately, if a part is unobtainable and can be made, I do have tooling in the shop to make it or repair it with. I used to roll my eyes when I heard of people reusing old points instead of replacing them, but I do that now to after polishing them since I can’t find new ones anywhere for a decent price. Same with OEM condensers, I use Vishay caps now. The list goes on. Offshore coils, offshore water pump kits, offshore carb kits etc. Not because of choice but because of necessity. The writing is on the wall and it’s the way of the future. The good old days of using OEM parts are over for me.

OK, my rant is over to and I’m off my soap box but I just want you all to understand why I buy these cheap parts now. It’s a case of eat or be eaten.

On another thought, I have lots of NOS OMC parts which I’ve been thinking of letting go along with thinning out the heard of motors around here a bit. In the end, keeping a few motors for my personal use. We’ll see. Something which has sparked my interest lately is lawn mower racing or mud mowers. I have six riders now with one currently being lowered 4″ and possibly being shortened a bit. Mowers are a dime a dozen around here just like old outboards used to be and parts are readily available. See how these crazy hobbies start?

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737

Just my thoughts…. I rather have OEM in my American made Outboard. I know my OEM parts will fit and last. I don’t want to get sub standard parts , cob them up to make them fit then wait for a failure. I know they are cheap but now so is the motor. When I bring an old relic back to life with the parts that were meant to be in there, I know it will be reliable for a long time. I stick with OEM or American made.

I’m with you buddy….D

outbdnut2

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

If it’s a motor I plan to use a lot, then I’m more apt to get the OMC parts. If it is going to be a garage queen , maybe used once every year or two, then the cheapie parts make sense for me. I do like to put OMC parts in motors I fix for friends and neighbors, but often I give them a choice of the parts and prices – all I charge them for is parts, and often parts off parts motors I give them free.
    Dave

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737

Something which hasn’t been mentioned here is the availability of the much preferred OMC/BRP parts. In my case, here in Victoria BC, which is a medium size city, we used to have two long time OMC dealers where I could purchase or order parts from for my motors. About seven years ago, a BRP rep was in town visiting the dealers and since they both also sold other lines of outboards, such as Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda etc. along with BRP outboards, he promptly cut of their access to the BRP warehouses in both Vancouver and Seattle. They were not devoted BRP dealers and lost their connection to the company, which seemed like BRP shooting themselves in the foot to me.

Since I have well over 100 OMC built motors here at any given time with more wanting to move in all the time, obtaining OEM parts for them has become a major challenge. The old stock at the two dealers has pretty much dried up as both dealers sold their remaining stock to Seaway in Seattle. Buying parts out of the USA is questionable to as I have to take into account the exchange rate of the Canadian dollar, which adds on 25-30% of any prices shown in US dollars. To add insult to injury, shipping costs on top start at a bare minimum of $20-$25 plus Global Shipping fees if purchased from Ebay. And this is if the seller will even ship to Canada, which a lot of them don’t. And please don’t recommend Marine Engine with their over inflated prices! They used to ship to Canada, but not anymore. When they did, I used them once for some urgently needed parts and when they did arrive, it was a brown UPS delivery truck which pulled in my driveway. The driver would not hand over the package until I had payed him some extra fees such as import fees or excise taxes which weren’t mentioned by M.E. This came as a shock but since I needed the parts, I had to pay.

What started out years ago as a very affordable hobby has slowly turned into a bit of a nightmare now. Pension cheques don’t quite cover the costs as well as pay cheques used to so I have to keep my eyes open for any good deals I can find now. Fortunately, if a part is unobtainable and can be made, I do have tooling in the shop to make it or repair it with. I used to roll my eyes when I heard of people reusing old points instead of replacing them, but I do that now to after polishing them since I can’t find new ones anywhere for a decent price. Same with OEM condensers, I use Vishay caps now. The list goes on. Offshore coils, offshore water pump kits, offshore carb kits etc. Not because of choice but because of necessity. The writing is on the wall and it’s the way of the future. The good old days of using OEM parts are over for me.

OK, my rant is over to and I’m off my soap box but I just want you all to understand why I buy these cheap parts now. It’s a case of eat or be eaten.

On another thought, I have lots of NOS OMC parts which I’ve been thinking of letting go along with thinning out the heard of motors around here a bit. In the end, keeping a few motors for my personal use. We’ll see. Something which has sparked my interest lately is lawn mower racing or mud mowers. I have six riders now with one currently being lowered 4″ and possibly being shortened a bit. Mowers are a dime a dozen around here just like old outboards used to be and parts are readily available. See how these crazy hobbies start?

Good point indeed, BRP hasn’t exactly done a good job providing/pricing repair parts. This is so frustrating, don’t they realize that the parts business is a great business all on its own, regardless of producing new outboards. The pricing on some of the cheap plastic crap is crazy as well. BRP has more or less just opened the doors for aftermarket firms to take over…Sad days indeed.

DAN UMBARGER

US Member - 2 Years

Wow Mumbles…didn’t realize that you guys are having problems getting OMC parts. I guess it’s coming for us too since BRP is causing a parts problem. At the moment I can buy some OMC parts thru my Donovan distributor….mostly what I can buy from Sierra I can get OEM from Donovan. Back in 1979 when Suzuki and Yamaha started coming into the US market my dad took on Suzuki and OMC didn’t like that one bit. Our motor sales flipped/flopped between 1979 and 1983. In 1983 Evinrude was trying to block the Jap motors from getting a hold and they found a way to take the Evinrude dealership away from us….our Hustler Sport Center sign had a very little bit of flaking paint on it and they said our building wasn’t “conducive” to selling Evinrudes. Luckily I can buy most of the fast moving parts from my distributors both OMC OEM ( at least for now) and the aftermarket. When I need a part that Donovan doesn’t offer then I have to go to a service dealer that is authorized OMC/Merc/Volvo. Then I also have the US internet which I use for my Yamy parts and some OMC stuff…Ebay also is a good place to buy parts…but you Canadians have that shipping problem.

DAN UMBARGER

US Member - 2 Years

Mumbles…I sent you a PM.

1 user thanked author for this post.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

My last cheap… now OEM water pump cost me 70$ cdn….that is my average price for picking up new motors. So…. much as this hobby has been and still is a great hobby OEM pars are truly a a last choice for me.

so far I have not been plagued * with problems and my only real concern was the report o “melting” carb gaskets l my last batch of 5x $5 CDN no taxes or shipping $$$ carb kits came in without the infamous orange colored gasket 🙂
    -)

* one or 2 suspect caps maybe on my lastest 4hp “no top sparks” issue

Canada was famous for textiles, great quality shoes etc… but now it is all Wally mart junk form anywhere but Canada ….. it does the job but does not last long enough and it it all boils down to …cheaper labour and profits margins as folks try to feed themselves their kids and hope one day to reach 25% of the lifestyle and freedom we all enjoy and take for granted till a virus comes along or a big dip below 32F .

..did I tell you about my proudly made John Deere lawn tractor… back to oldies

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

JOHN HOLBIK

Replies: 162
    Topics: 2

I am in the same shoes the US border is only 20 miles from my place I usualy have my stuff shipped to Grand Marias Min but I can not cross the border due to Covid.
    Canada was known for a lot of top quality products manufactured here sadly they are gone but I am sitting here typing this attired in a pair of gray wool one piece long johns made right in Canada AYE by Stanfields.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.