Home Forum Ask A Member Mark 28

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    punchbug
    Participant

I have an opportunity to purchase a Mark 28. It is missing the lower end but the rest looks good. I have 3 questions.
      What is a good purchase price as it sits?
      What is the poop on the "transmission" on these? From what I read there seems to be issues and it is pretty finicky whatever that means.
      Is finding a bottom end going to be next to impossible or outrageous in price. I know these are subjective questions but I am an OMC and oddball guy mostly. This is a relatively new excursion to the dark side for me. I do have 4 other mercs but no "mark" motors
      It is a good looking motor turns over free with good compression but thats all I know… oh yeah and it is sunset orange…aka pink LOL

As always thanks for your help
      Bill

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Bill,
        what year is it? Makes a big difference with the waterpump, laters are easier. Have a book, you will need it. Most likely will need it. Throttle/shift linkage are quite complex. Buy a non overheated & complete mtr & yes I have one, not for sale, I’m the second owner. Otherwise good rat mtr with KE7
        tower & KFG7 driveshaft. Very Carl design,
        Jeff

punchbug
        Participant

Don’t have the serial number right now. The motor is where my family lives so I am going o get it during my visit at easter. I have an original service manual for the early mercs but that specific manual if there is one. If you could scan the manual and send it to me that would be very much appreciated. I think I could get it for under $100 so I think I am good price wise if I can find a lower end relatively cheap.

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have a lower unit for it.

punchbug
            Participant

Thanks Dave let me get the motor first then I will try and find the lower. Where you at and how much?

dave-bernard
              Participant

$50.00 plus shipping Yonkers NY.

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You can’t be in a hurry to get them done. There is a lot that can be potentially be wrong with them; so you have to take your time and be thorough, from top to bottom. When you’re done, though, they are great running, powerful motors that actually will shift quite well. They are my favorite of all motors. $100 for a nice looking one is fair. I’m sure Dave knows this but there are two different lower units of that type.Two different gear ratios and different prop shaft lengths. One is for the 15 cubic inch Mark 10, 15A, etc. The other is for 22 cube motors like the Mark 28, Merc 200, etc. Water pump takes special tools to do right. Some can be cobbled up. The Mercury 1965 and prior manual covers them well.

Long live American manufacturing!

frankr
                  Participant

Boy, if you are going to jump into the dark side, this sure is a good one to get your feet wet. Love it or hate it.

david-bartlett
                    Participant

I’m a long time OMC fan, but I now own 2 Mark 10’s. As Bill and Frank have mentioned, these are a different animal altogether. You will love and hate them at the same time. I couldn’t resist getting into them just for the sheer ingeniousness of the design. Some very interesting engineering went into these outboards. Some will say too much, but I think they are fascinating.

Some special tools needed, but like Bill said, you can make some of them and borrow others. If the price is right,it will make a very nice project and you will learn some new skills and swear words in the process.

dave-bernard
                      Participant

If you get it get the manual and call me if you need help . 1 914 310 7086.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.