Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury KD4

Viewing 10 posts - 111 through 120 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

So it looks like you had enough play/room to get 2 nuts and a washer between the cylinder and the case? Or did get that one off using another technique?

Boonie
      Participant

Canada Member

Well I had to throw everything at this one. First I filled the cylinders up with WD40 for a couple days. Nothing moving. Soaked for another week. Nothing. Then I tried liquid wrench for a couple days. Nothing. Then I tried some evapo rust. That stuff does a number on rust but still no movement. So I took it to work and preheated the oven to 350 degrees and put the power head in for about a half hour, then moved it to our walk in freezer. Then soaked it overnight in WD40. Next day put the flywheel on and using a strap I had a friend put as much pressure on it as possible. I took a wooden dowel and put it in the spark plug hole and with some heat gave it a whack. Pop, the top piston came free. Have been soaking the bottom piston and tomorrow will try the heat , freeze method again

opposedtwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nice!! Thanks for sharing! Have always been curious about the oven method. Next time my wife’s out of town I may give it a try!
          Scott

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Go to M.G. Chemicals & buy “Super corona dope” It is a very high voltage liquid insulating covering. If you want to stabalize the coil use fibergalss cloth, the very thin cloth used for radio controled toy airplanes from a hobby shop. cut to size & saturate the cloth using corona dope. It looks like clear fingernail polish.

Boonie
            Participant

Canada Member

Hallelujah. Free at last. I learned one thing for sure. I have more patience than my wife says I have!

Boonie
              Participant

Canada Member

One question I have. Do I have to remove the crankshaft to replace the seal on the flywheel end? Bottom end has a cap that comes off.

opposedtwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I beieve you do. Kirk p has a thread in the “projects column” where he discusses these seals. I believe it’s entitled “WB3”.

https://www.aomci.org/forums/topic/wb3/

green-thumbs
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Several things I would want to know if it was on my agenda.
                    1) are rods rusted to crankshaft
                    2) are both pistons stuck
                    3) signs of prior attempts to unstick

I have had good results with Marvel Mystery Oil on very lightly stuck
                    powerhed. If both pistons are stuck and or rod bearings rusted to
                    crankshaft. freeing up and disassemby may be difficult,

I would apply oil thru spark plug opening, exhaust ports and thru crankcase opeing to cylinders. The stuff oiled paper in thru spark plug opening to reduce volume of grease required. Next attach grease gun to spark plug adapter and attempt to free piston that is hight in cylinder,
                    Do not overdo it! Exhaust ports can be blanked off to seal grease in
                    If you can move piston down far enough to gain work space between
                    cylinder and crankcase for nuts and threade rods you can pull the
                    piston completely clear of cylinder. The piston often will require this
                    to mover it the last inch or two our to cylinder.
                    Both grease gun and nuts, washers and threaded rods are powerful
                    tools that will free up most stuck pistons and ALSO break things if nothing wants to give.

I once pickup up a stuck KE4 powerhead that someone had tried to freeup with a pipe wrench. Did not work and lefte deep indentations
                    on crankshaft taper. It responded to greasegun methods with very
                    little pressure. needed.

Sometimes you can remove unstuck cylinder and piston & rod assembly and gain enough space between the stuck cylinder and crankcase
                    to use nuts, washers threaded rods to pull the piston out. Depends
                    on where piston is in the cylinder.
                    If low a go, If high grease gun.
                    Louis

Boonie
                    Participant

Canada Member

Ok so pistons are free, next step is to free up the rings. Is it possible to buy new pistons and rings? Also I need new seals for both ends of the crank.

Boonie
                      Participant

Canada Member

Does anyone know how to remove the crankshaft from this Kd4?

Viewing 10 posts - 111 through 120 (of 140 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.