Home Forum Ask A Member mercury kg-4 questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

i got a basket case kg-4 and have very little experience working mercury motors.

the spark advance is stuck rock solid. no idea why. I’ve never run into this on another brand. I don’t want to break something.

also it appears I’m missing some part–tiller handle, gas cap (although I really like the cork method 🙄 ), lower cowls and some throttle linkage. please let me know what else looks like it’s missing.

thanks!
      scott

here are some pics:

wedgie
      Participant

The choke plate is missing

wedgie
        Participant

Check out the Western New York AOMCI website : http://www.wnyaomci.org/manual.html

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The carb advance is missing. Time to pull the magneto to remove it to lube. Can’t see the top of the flywheel to what mag was used but if a Sintilla, bendix you will find two screws in the rear to control rotational force required, loosen them.

opposedtwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

jeff,
              here are a couple pics of the flywheel. so the kg-4 could have either phelon or scintilla type magneto? how will I know which one? and how would this flywheel be removed?
              scott

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member

what you have is one that is setup for deadman throttle. the mag might have been tightened at full spark advance then the throttle is run by the deadman throttle . the tiller was removed because with this setup you would use a steering wheel. 1 914 310 7086.

RICHARD A. WHITE
                Participant

Lifetime Member

and that pic has the Phelon mag… your lucky day as only the chosen few have spare Scintilla points..Remove the goofy nut with the proper tool or in a pinch wrap a nice heavy rag around the nut, not your wife’s good one, LOL and with strap wrench remove the nut. The tools are available from Old Mercs I think. Points, coils and condensers are readily available.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                  classicomctools@gmail.com

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

I found a thick iron bar and drilled two quarter inch holes in it that had between them the same distance as the narrow part to Carl’s crazy flywheel nut. Quarter inch sheer pins in the holes twist the nut right off …

. . . . . 😀

RICHARD A. WHITE
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Good call Garry,a bar made out of steel using 1/4 dowels spaced just right will easily help. If bar is 1/2 thick, it will hold up for many years…Now there is an idea for a tool. I will get to work on it..

I have made above mentioned tool. One tool will remove AND install the goofy flywheel nuts, OF BOTH SIZES of nuts, on these buggars. Pretty simple, and I only have one. I am going to send it to a Mercury freak to have them test it out. If it works, then I will post photos of its usage and the possibility of reproducing it.

Thanks for your support.

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                      classicomctools@gmail.com

fastjohn
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Scott, You have a PM.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.