Home Forum Ask A Member mercury kg-4 questions

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jeff-register
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

KG4,
      First I see no support for the plug wires & the flywheel hardware should be tightened using the correct tool as we all know a untorqued flywheel breeds trouble from being too tight or not tight enough. Next I see the throttle linkage missing & set up for racing. Not a problem until starting at full advance timing. Those points need to be cleaned up with a wire wheel, then 1000 wet & dry to get a nice finish & check that old cap too. I bet it is junk under test load being 50 something years old.
      Also watch your dwell setting thru out the full throttle range. You might find the gap may change around 60 degrees from wide open. Be sure to set the two screws behind the flywheel at 50% throttle& recheck the dwell. If it shows wear set at full throttle & retry again as a last resort. E-mail me if you want at jeff.50@cox.net. for tuning.
      Best of luck,
      Jeff

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

I have made above mentioned tool. One tool will remove AND install the goofy flywheel nuts, OF BOTH SIZES of nuts, on these buggars. Pretty simple, and I only have one. I am going to send it to a Mercury freak to have them test it out. If it works, then I will post photos of its usage and the possibility of reproducing it.

Thanks for your support.

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

jw-in-dixie
        Participant

Wrap a military webb belt around the goofy nut and remove with a pipe wrench. Left to loosen. As above, hold the wheel with a strap wrench or between the legs of your best friend. A hammer will make it quicker.

JW in Dixie

outboard315
          Participant

It appears to have had the throttle advance clamped in place and it had a throttle hooked up at one point (the bracket opposite the fuel shut off). The fly wheel nut comes off with a special tool or I used an old clamp that slides on a bar with a screw to tighten and they seem to come off with that. You could also try a large crescent wrench. Under the mag plate should be some screws that clamp the mag plate that you may be able to unscrew to take off some tension. But I would not force anything until you pull the flywheel and make sure everything is clean and ready to move.

philsboat
            Participant

I have a kg4 power head.Can you tell me where I can get ignition coils for it?
              Thanks for your help.
              Phil B.

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member

is it benbix os phalen coils?????
                Got pics.

The Boat House
                Participant

As this is his first post I’m betting he
                  doesn’t know one from the other.

philsboat – are your coils round or square?

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.