Home Forum Ask A Member New Member Introduction

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Gary Haight
    Participant

US Member
      Gary Haight
      Participant

US Member

Hi David. It was my pleasure meeting you and seeing the Magic Barn. I will try and plan a trip around one of your meets. I will bring the Fastwin so hopefully someone will be able to run it for me on a boat. It runs great in a barrel.

Gary Haight
        Participant

US Member

IMG_0332

bobw
          Participant

US Member

The body shop did an amazing paint job!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

hi Gary,  welcome   to AOMCI.  I wish I had your skills and time ! to restore these oldies like you did.

Just to add to Seakaye12’S comment  I would like to caution you also 🙂 The round B&S aka Mikuni round pump are great   on lawn tractors  with 4 stroke engines.  Some  have had problems with them  reasons  related to  excessive fuel-oil mix ending up in the pulse line.  I have used them myself but can’t say   is had problems.  I try  to resll most of my refurbs .

that said the  square Mikunis are apparently the ones to use if ever  problems creep up on your beauty or simply mount a regular OMC  square pump over a plate  ( just line up 2  drilled  holes behind the pump)

IF you don’t have a copy yet  the Johnson  ” bible”  red book  (or white)  is a “must have”    see this link.

https://watercraftmanuals.com/outboard/johnson/manuals/johnson-302231.htm

For 20$  you get a 400 page+  service manual covering just about anything  on these oldies (late 40s to mid  60s)  carbs, magneto, gear case timing etc….  Just download  and  have it printed  locally and  spring bound with plastic cover sheets . make  for nice flat reading 🙂

see   ex pages

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Gary Haight
              Participant

US Member

Thanks. The paint shop did a nice job. They matched paint to original using parts that the paint color was an identical match to spray can Vintage outboard paint. They used a special camera and had a single stage Urethane Enamel mixed up for the chemical durability. They even gave me paint codes if anyone needs them. “Don’t know if I am allowed to post them.”

Gary Haight
                Participant

US Member

Thanks Crosbyman. I will definitely get the RedBook. Great idea of having it printed. For older people, having an actual book manual seems more accessible than computer access.  I am sure younger people may differ. As a retired mechanic, you can never have enough tools. I do have the timing tool and the coil adjustment ring.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

they predicted years ago  that “paper” would be phased out  with all the new fancy  gimmicks and on-line access to info…never happened  🙂

my recent purchase  was a 200$ cdn   Brother 2710 4 in 1  BW laser printer. works great … no Iphones for me !

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Welcome aboard Gary!  That Fastwin is beautiful

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      labrador-guy
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi Gary, YES that fastwin is a beauty!  I have one that is a twin to yours.  Except mine has a white propeller!  I wish I lived  closer to that pine tree club chapter.  I would sure like to see that Magic Barn in person.  It should be on the map of Historical Places!

Welcome dale

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.