Home Forum Ask A Member New Member Introduction

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Gary Haight
    Participant

US Member

Hi all- I am a new member to AOMCI. I am a retired auto/truck/heavy and light equipment mechanic.  I Live in NJ but visit Maine and upstate NY on vacations.  I know about the Pine Tree Boating Club chapter and have met a few of the members. Great guys and that is why I joined AOMCI. I have been tinkering with outboards for many years but 12 years ago, I was involved in a work accident and lost my lower left arm among many other injuries. Small outboards are easier for me to work on with one arm. I used to restore antique cars and trucks as a passion until my accident. Is there a list of all AOMCI chapters and contacts on this website that is viewable?

This is my latest finished restoration. 1953 Evinrude 15 hp Super Fastwin. I junk picked it out of a scrap metal pile. It was a “let’s see if I can get this heap going” type of motor. It must have sat outside in a pond for a long time. I got it started but it ran real bad but I knew it had compression and spark. All parts disassembled, cleaned and glass beaded. New gaskets, seals, ignition, water pump, carburetor rebuild.  I am not good at painting so a body shop painted it for me. Pictures of completed motor are too big of a file to post, so these pictures show it before the engine cover is on.

IMG_2904

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Gary – welcome to the club; you will find lots of helpful folks here on the Forum.  That’s an outstanding restoration on your ’53 Evinrude.

If you go under the “About” heading at the top of the Forum page, you can click on the Active Chapters heading to find a listing.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

1 user thanked author for this post.
        opposedtwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Welcome to our club Gary! Glad to have you. From what i can tell those guys in Maine have a blast with this old stuff! Hope you’re able to catch up with them!

seakaye12
          Participant

US Member

Welcome Gary!  And WOW!!!!!    Beautiful looking Fastwin!

I would caution you about that fuel pump.  It is the version that is glued together as opposed to being fastened with screws.  I have had a couple of them blow apart on me!  There is an identical version of the pump with screws.

As far as pictures being too big to post….they can be “resized” either on your computer or on-line.  You want an image with a width of appx 1200 pixels to post on a forum like this.  If you need further help on resizing pics just ask.

Fuel-Pump3

The Boat House
            Participant

Amazing story. Was a car guy as well. Got into
              the outboards because I got old. Ignition, fuel,
              drive train. All the same stuff but on a smaller
              scale. Here is how to get to the chapter listings.
              Tubs

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes So welcome!!

That is a wonderful restoration! Brings back many memories of my 2 Fastwins. I’ll repeat what everyone said, Many great & experienced outboard members here.

I too am injured from  work & know it’s hard what you have done!!! Great work & effort.

P.S. We can’t forget all the volinteers that keep the club running too!!

Jeff

Gary Haight
                Participant

US Member

Thank you for your compliments. Not everyone realizes that people with challenges have the desire to achieve a goal to raise themselves up mentally just like everyone else.

you are correct about thanking volunteers. The unsung heroes of every organization!

Gary Haight
                  Participant

US Member

Thanks for the information on the fuel pump. my pump is a Briggs & Stratton brand. Used several of them on lawn tractors that I used to work on and never had a problem. That is why I bought that brand. I hope it stays together but I see your point of the glue. I will research the other type and change it out. Do you know any information on the screw together pump?

davidk
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi Gary-

I enjoyed meeting you last summer when you visited the Magic Barn.  I’m glad you joined AOMCI.  Your interest and enthusiasm is exactly what we’re looking for in new members.  “Super” restoration of that Fastwin!  Looks like a museum piece.

The Yankee and Knucklebuster Chapters are both active and within reach for a Jersey guy.  I hope to see you at one of our meets in Maine this summer.

-David

Gary Haight
                      Participant

US Member

Trying to get a picture to size in order to attach. I use an IPad because it is much easier to use than typing on a computer. Besides losing my left lower arm, my right hand has major issues because of over use while still working. Many surgeries.

Here we go.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.