OMC vs HF flywheel puller

Home Forum Ask A Member OMC vs HF flywheel puller

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 88 total)

• sydinnj

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 197
    Topics: 9

I believe it is used as a spacer under the center bolt, esp if there is not a dimple in the end of the crank. Thats what I have used it for anyway. No guess on the two bolts. I figure when I need to pull something other than a flywheel I might figure them out.

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1702
    Topics: 34

I’m sure someone here knows for sure what thelse brass piece and the two long bolts are for. I do not, but if I had to guess I’d say for pulling a bearing carrier out of a gearcase. Just guessing.

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

vintin

Replies: 580
    Topics: 19
    quote Fisherman6:

I’m sure someone here knows for sure what thelse brass piece and the two long bolts are for. I do not, but if I had to guess I’d say for pulling a bearing carrier out of a gearcase. Just guessing.

I’ve never done it but I’ve read that is what they are for.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

wedgie, I guess the contents of the kit have maybe changed over the years, but at one time they used to come with more bolts than you got. Mine had a bunch of bolts that I probably never used. And I’ve added some of my own. I may be wrong, but I think the adapter thing is used in the splined end of a crankshaft to pull a bearing housing off. And various long bolts were used on prop-exhaust gearcases. As I said, I have some long All-Thread bolts that I’ve added for things that I don’t even remember. You will invent new uses for it as you go along. I recently added some bolts to pull the flywheel off a riding mower.

jerry-ahrens

Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

You can also get an optional lifting eye that screws into the puller plate. Now you have a place for a cherry picker/hoist for lifting motors. I use my puller on everything from small vintage motors to modern V6’s. I’ve never encountered a flywheel it wouldn’t break loose. I have a 57 Big Twin, that I am certain has never had the flywheel off. Original coils, condensers, etc. The OMC puller’s 1/4 inch bolts pulled the threads right out of that flywheel. I was in a hurry, so I installed 3/8 Heli Coils, then the puller popped it right off. Not to worry though, I was converting that engine to electric start, and wasn’t planing to reuse that flywheel anyway. Point being, that puller is a brute, and will get the job done!

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

The difference is like comparing a Fiat 500 to a Mack dump truck. The OMC puller is even better than anything Snap-On makes, never mind the Chinese Tool Store.

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

The long bolts are used to pull some of the prop shaft bearing housings on the thru exhaust gearcases. That big spacer is used on some flywheels where the crank threads are way below the highest spots on the flywheel. Many of the new larger engines need it, along with engines like the old 60s V4s with the built in under flywheel alternator. That spacer is also handy pulling some thru hub bearing housings as well.

wetwillie

Replies: 91
    Topics: 15
    quote BillW:

The difference is like comparing a Fiat 500 to a Mack dump truck. The OMC puller is even better than anything Snap-On makes, never mind the Chinese Tool Store.

I have really appreciated reading all the OMC puller endorsements and thank everyone that responded. This one however, is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks Bill. I will order one this morning. Unless, I walk into my garage and discover the flywheel popped off last night.
    Nah, on 2nd thought, based on all the other uses for the OMC unit, I’ll order one anyway. 😉

RICHARD A. WHITE

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 1840
    Topics: 140

I have never had an issue using the harmonic balancer puller, I use grade 8 bolts and nary a problem… tight ones, I get the impact out and "POP"

I have never seen an "official" OMC puller…Hmm interesting

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
    classicomctools@gmail.com

dan-in-tn

Replies: 961
    Topics: 78

Some of the pullers on Ebay listed as OMC puller #378103 are not the real deal! If they don’t have shoulder bolts then stay away. That is part of what make the puller so great. The shoulder bolts and hardened washers together are the ticket. Like Frank said my old pullers came with a variety of long & short shoulder bolts. Some are fine thread, very short threads. They appear to be for very early Johnson engines with the weird thread count in the flywheels. I got mine from an old tech at the Johnson plant in Waukegan when I joined Johnson back in 1976. I have been proud to own it every since. I have bought all of the accessory since then. The lifting eye #321537 & others. I bought extra washers and made other bolts, etc. to pull other things.

Dan in TN

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.