Home Forum Ask A Member Phelon points

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jeff-register
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It doesn’t matter where the condensor  (capacitor) comes from, an old motor or radio they are junk. all a cap is is layers of conductive & insulating material.  The old insulated material gets pin holes & leaks. The newer capicators have thinner & better insulating & thr thinner the materisl the better capacitor function, The pitting &  buildup on the contact area is from over or underrated cap values. As Jim pointed  out Vishay capsare very good for the magneto application, There is another berrer brand too but can’t remember the brand name. I do know a mag cap MUST have a higher voltage rating than most out there.Keep using an ohm meter during  electrical assembly to double check everything & keep everything spotless clean. Had a Johnson 1958 18 didn’t run well, one cylinder & the mag was perpect, It haad a bad crabkshaft seal & blowing fuel vapor on the mag too shorting it out.Also have a Mark25 & running bad. The mag plate was worn causinga bad electricl connection between the  mag & block. ran a small bonding wirefrom mag to block & it ran perfect afterwards. Checked with a ohm meter moving the mag plate advanced on the  block. it had very bad connection until adding a bonding wire.Check EVERY CONNECTION during assembly please. Less work finding problems with a meter. My Merc was missing on both cylinderrs sometimes & the current reveersing turned my points gold they got so hot!!! a s simple jumper fixed all that.

P.S.Sure feels to be cack as I almost died from Covid & West Nile.

Jeff

Jeff

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

Welcome back Jeff  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve A W
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jeff

It’s good to hear your back !!

Member of the MOB chapter.
          I live in Northwest Indiana

Monte NZ
          Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Very pleased to see your back on deck……..you’ve certainly been through the mill by the sounds of it!!

Best wishes from down in here in NZ.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you everyone. Still getting better. Miss running my motors but need to learn how to walk again, but getting stronger.

Hopr my reply was correct.

Jeff

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.