Home Forum Ask A Member Questions for the ELTO experts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    49morphew
    Participant

US Member

I picked up what I believe is a 1929 ELTO 300 Service Speedster at an auction last fall. Don’t know if it runs yet. It has nice even compression and seems complete except for tiller handle. The serial # stamped on starboard side of block is 88898. I’m wondering if the fuel tank is incorrect? It fits fine and there are no clearance issues but the gas cap is different than other speedsters. The decals obviously were replaced but I cannot see where the ELTO ID plate would have been attached to the top of this tank. There are no solder marks or rivet holes. I do not have the serial plate. Any ideas? Thanks

20190401_050725

20190401_050733

20190401_050733

20190401_050759

wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I can’t call myself an expert, but that doesn’t look like a 1929 tank to me for the reasons you stated.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

pm-t2
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Agreed with Wayne. It looks like it might be from a later 1930’s Speedster where they did not attach a serial number tag to the top panel of the tank. For instance, in this picture of a model 905 Special Speedster (1931-33) you can see that it used a tank similar to the one you have there. So, it may be an Elto tank – just not the right one. but if it works…run with it.

Hope this helps.

Best,
          PM T2

20180803_130538

jimross
          Participant

From the 2 pix you have sent I can give you some answers to what it is or was. The flywheel,timer, carburetor and tank are from a 1930 Elto 905. Which makes a bigger question on the 1929 serial No.as you will have to with motor registration tto see if the numbers ever went that high. The Cyls. look like they are water cooled as was 905 and ’29 Speedster Hi-speed. and ’28 & ’29 Quads both have a different taper. From what I can see of the lower unit it doesn’t have a water pump LU housing so it should still have the Speedster foot. In looking at the moto from the front you can see where the left side of the carb has been shaved to fit the Speedster handle bracket and has the handle from a ’29 Elto 905,Quad or Sr. Speedster. I would be interested in a pix of the foot and bracket that’s on it.

The Boat House
            Participant

49morphew
              Participant

US Member

Gentlemen, Thanks for the replies. I may have created some confusion. I originally posted 5 photos of the original subject motor but only 1 came through. I’ll try to post the others again.

20190401_050725

20190401_050733

20190402_051651

20190402_051651

hollerdog17
                Participant

Greetings: I have an Elto Cub (serial 4264 0059) that is in very good condition, turns over with compression, and looks complete (??). Can you validate the model year, provide information as to where I can find a parts diagram, and advise me as to whether the area below the carburetor (see picture) is missing any parts? Please feel free to contact me at my email: rsmith90@att.net
                  I’ve also attached picts of the motor and the serial # tag.
                  Look forward to your response and Thanks for your time!
                  Ron A.

hollerdog17
                  Participant

Looking to obtain an Elto Cub (Model # 4264) Service or Parts Manual… the illustrated version. Email: rsmith90@att.net
                    Ron A.

The Boat House
                    Participant

hollerdog17
                      Participant

Appreciate the response noting my mixture screw base is not damaged and apparently was never over-tightened… good advice though!
                        Regarding picture #3, I want to make sure there’s no part or parts missing that would cover the area where the 4 small round holes or opening are visible and located at the base of the carburetor. It just looks like something or part is mssing…
                        Ron S>

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.