Home Forum Ask A Member substitute for OMC sealer 1000

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, the complaints with 847/1000 sealer are surely valid, pretty tough to work with….The worst part is trying to remove it if the gearcase has to be disassembled again for some reason like failing a pressure test. Just wish the stuff was available in a smaller tube with a smaller opening, which might make controlling it during application a little easier. All that negative stuff being said, the stuff is an excellent sealer that can compensate for minor sealing surface imperfections, and is impervious to gasoline and most chemicals it will come in contact with.
      I get frustrated when sealing up OMC clamshell gearcases is passed off as something easy, that most anyone can accomplish. True, most anyone can probably get one the these gearcases back together and somewhat operational, but it is very unlikely to be sealed up properly, and what good is that…. So, being “old school” and set in my ways/aka stubborn, I will continue to wrestle with the 847/1000 sealer. I would strongly caution against using alternative sealers on OMC crankcases that call for use of the 847/1000 sealer in conjunction with spaghetti seal also.

The Boat House
      Participant

The Boat House
        Participant

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member

This is the can I was referring to….

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
            classicomctools@gmail.com

The Boat House
            Participant

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Ben Ditmar, Ben Breitner and Ron Baker were using this, they advised you can remove the hardened stuff and continue using…I have not opened mine yet… but the 847 is still oooozing from the dad gummed puncture…ugh

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

The Boat House
                Participant

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ben Ditmar, Ben Breitner and Ron Baker were using this, they advised you can remove the hardened stuff and continue using…I have not opened mine yet… but the 847 is still oooozing from the dad gummed puncture…ugh

THAT explains the *cough* in the same line as the “fine gentlemen” 😉😁
                    I have had to open up the valve on my can before too, but it took two or three months for it to set up that far down. Usually it just hardens in the nozzle and it can be removed with a pin punch or a finish nail or something. I have used both 847 and Ultra Black for gearcases and I much prefer the forgiving nature of the Ultra Black for that application. I have used my 847 for crankcase halves too, but actually prefer Yamabond 4 for that. Nothing wrong with 847 and it works for different applications. There are newer, more specialized sealants available now that I think do a better job for specific things.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

jeff-register
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Over 30 years ago I used regular silicone for home repairs on my 53 evinrude. Just let it cure over night in the desert. I worked great!

rudefan29070
                      Participant

Well Gentlemen,
                        I have resealed two Gear Cases one with 847 and one with Ultra Black. I have ran the Motor (65 Small Case 18) with the ultra black about 45 Minutes in the lake and no water in the case when I drained the oil. So far so good. One thing I did do before applying the Ultra Black is I cleaned all surfaces and screws with M.E.K to ensure the surfaces and screws were clean and oil free. Then as recommended I applied the sealer and fitted the parts just a little snug. Then came back one hour later and final torqued the case screws. I haven’t ran the Motor with the 847 yet (69 Big Case) and yes the 847 is more cumbersome to work with but not terrible. Anyway thank you for all the replies

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.