Home Forum Ask A Member TN26 resurrection

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    steveh
    Participant

US Member

Vikki…the coils and condensers are usually OK on these motors. The points require a very good cleaning. Be careful not to lose the little insulators.

shoestringmariner
      Participant

If coils are original, they will be dry rotted and crumbled. Standard coils, should be able to get almost anywhere or Napa

vikkip
        Participant

Super clean ignition!

Points have perfectly flat contact surfaces. I’m cleaning and dressing them anyhow. The point plungers are still covered in gray grease that has the consistency of lithium grease.

shoestringmariner
          Participant

Those coils are replacements?

vikkip
            Participant

Nice fat spark. Off to buy a cork, some spark plugs, some 2 stroke outboard oil, and a new pull rope. This one is too stiff to retract.

My strap wrench wasn’t big enough to wrap around the flywheel so I had to improvise.

vikkip
              Participant
                quote ShoestringMariner:

Those coils are replacements?

I doubt it. The motor was hanging in the garage since about 1967.

wedgie
                Participant

I think it was Frank that said (I’m paraphrasing) "those coils were made before OMC figured out how to make them last for only 5 years."

steveh
                  Participant

US Member

ShoestringMariner, the coils in these motors are usually good. Later OMC coils didn’t hold up as well.

vikkip
                    Participant

I got everything on my shopping list but the cork. ACE only has up to 1" other than the useless composite corks. Tried housewares at Salvation Army store and none there either. I’ll have to wait to go to the homebrew store, they closed for the weekend. Meanwhile I’ll dress this old one and expect to have to change it.

reivertom
                      Participant

US Member

The good news is you have the older style coils that tend to stay good, the bad news is, they are NLA in the universe…..new, that is..

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 59 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.