Home Forum Ask A Member What was your first outboard?

Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    squierka39
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

First outboard I was allowed to use was a 1950 Evinrude Fastwin with the tall tank on the back of a 16’ 1930 Thompson TVT lake boat. We still have both. That was back in the early 70’s I think.

wrenchero
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

i enjoyed reading all of the stories.my first unofficial outboard was my dads 1954 evinrude 7.5.after much frustration(at the age of 11) and even some tears,my uncle helped me get it running.my dad did a side job for a 1967 9.5 evinrude so i guess that was my first outboard.it ran great until it overheated and temporarily seized.i took the cylinder head off and it was caked with salt.my dad helped me clean the salt out and it ran great for years.i still have both…. AND MANY OTHERS

mn

Rusted Junk
        Participant

1975 or 1976 Johnson 6 HP, bought it lightly used in 1983, I used it on my 18 ft. Duckworth Jet Sled. Wonderful little motor.

bruceter
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

First motor I ever owned was a Johnson A-65 I was 14 working after school the guy owed me $25 and traded me it for the Johnson A65
            It ran great for years then was sold
            When I got into this hobby that was the motor I was looking for , it took me a year and a half to find on , then I restored it and it will be sitting beside my urn on my last day

DAN UMBARGER
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My first motor was a 1969 Merc 80 on my first boat…a 13′ Hustler Wildcat which was also my first race boat.

Dans-13-Wildcat3

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A 1956 Johnson 5-1/2, CD-12, I must have been 13. I’d saved all my grass cutting, window cleaning, car washing money. Hung it on the back of the Optimist pram my Dad built for me (I paid for materials). 3 or 4 other buddies had small boats with small outboards and we ran them from May to September, every day, in our little harbor off Long Island Sound. We’d stick the handle end of an oar in the water at speed and try to soak each other with the rooster tail, fish, swim, run up creeks and backwaters. Pretty sweet memories. Love to have another CD-12.

I grew up on Long Island Sound also…My parents used to rent out our home near the city to city people, and we would rent out a shack on Fairfield Beach for the summer….The Sound was our front yard, the “creek” was our back yard. My brother and I destroyed several mid 50s fleetwins, I think they spent as much time under the salt water as they did right side up. Always got em restarted though, surprised none of them ever threw a rod. Then one day, my brother brought home a beautiful looking 58 Fleetwin, but we never got it running on both cylinders…This one probably had a thrown rod, and we didn’t know it. Probably why it was nice looking, never got any use. A few years later, I would get my own 68 Lightwin for the 8′ flat bottom “skimmer”. Our summers were most kids “dream come true”. Both parents worked, so us four “delightful” Kellogg kids were left “home alone” on the beach for the summer, quickly learned how to “spin the bottle” and smoke cigarettes watching the older siblings having fun.
                It is ironic that our dream summers were born out of financial need…Parents rented out our home across the street from the sound for big bucks, and we all jammed together in a summer shack for much less. I have many great memories with my brother on the beach, before he got old enough to drive and chase girls….

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Mike M
                Participant

1970 evinrude fisherman 6hp..runs like new..

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I may have posted on this thread a couple years ago , but I don’t want to go through it looking so here goes, maybe again:

First one I operated was Dad’s 1946 4.2 HP Champion model 1J – When I was 5 years old, he would go to the front of the 14′ cedar-strip boat and let me steer it. I still have that motor. It’s now unique because living in St Paul, he used to take it to the Champion factory in a suburb just north of St. Paul/Minneapolis for service and one time when it was there in the early 1950s, when he picked it up, at no cost to him, they had run it through the paint booth and put on new decals, so what was a silver motor is now a factory -painted blue motor!

The first motor I owned was a 1953 Champion 4LHD “Hydro-Drive” 8.5 HP that I got for $30 in 1961 when I was 14 and put on an 8 foot , 3 -point hydroplane I built in the basement from plans in a magazine. I was able to run that motor into the mid-1980s, because Lyle Swanson, who got the remains of the Champion factory parts when they went out of business had his stock and shop 20 minutes from the family lake place. When I was 14, I got really good at getting that motor going again after taking waves wrong with the hydroplane and dunking it. Photo below (taken in the mid-1960s) of it on the hydroplane after a dunk.
                    Dave
                    [/url]

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    trex014
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My first motor came with my first boat, a ’74 chrysler 75hp. This was 3 years ago when I was 17, I wanted a boat for my birthday so I bought one. Now I have over 40 classic motors and about 10 run. That Chrysler will idle all day but refuses to run in gear, oh well it’s being saved for a later date. Something about the gold and white scheme captivated me.

Screenshot_20190313-210749_Chrome

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by trex014.
                      jeff-register
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

a 54 Firestone 7.5, Still have it.

Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 128 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.