Home Forum Ask A Member 1953 Mercury Mark-7

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    green-thumbs
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

For discussion sake
      a Repco Phelons laminate measured about .500" wide by abour .365" top to bottom.
      OMC laminate measured abour .400 wide and about .475 top to bottom
      These may/may not be representative laminates or precise measurements.
      It would appear that the required fitting would not require much in way of grinding
      IF coil can be turned 90 degrees.
      I have not yet tried this conversion but I am following discussion closely.

I believe that the older KE4 with Bendix ignition could be converted as a unit if flywheel, cam and magneto plate assembly from a Repco Phelon 514 C can be sourced.
      Louis

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Carl knew better @ 4500 RPM, 10 – 4 dave, Louis, Ever use H.V. liquid dielectric & glass?

seakaye12
        Participant

US Member

I guess you guys have tried running it this way? It looks like it should work if the spark plug wire can be bent sharply enough to not be so high as to rub on the flywheel…..

outboard315
          Participant
            quote Seakaye12:

I guess you guys have tried running it this way? It looks like it should work if the spark plug wire can be bent sharply enough to not be so high as to rub on the flywheel…..

I feel like the way it was routed in the first picture was easier. I was thinking straight down and drill a new hole for the wire, but that still seems harder.

Anonymous
              quote green thumbs:

For discussion sake
              a Repco Phelons laminate measured about .500″ wide by abour .365″ top to bottom.
              OMC laminate measured abour .400 wide and about .475 top to bottom
              These may/may not be representative laminates or precise measurements.
              It would appear that the required fitting would not require much in way of grinding
              IF coil can be turned 90 degrees.

I believe that the older KE4 with Bendix ignition could be converted as a unit if flywheel, cam and magneto plate assembly from a Repco Phelon 514 C can be sourced.
              Louis

Louis, what motor used the Phelon setup you referenced?
              Kirk

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

KG4, KG7 Mk 20,15 & 20. think about it, Rotor has less "robbing pwr" than a heavy flywheel & learn the curve they function quite well,

Anonymous

Jeff, was your post in response to my question? I ask because if it was the Mk20 is a bendix (not sure about the others without research). I was hoping it might be easier to find parts for a KE4 conversion than it was for my Mk20 conversion.

The Boat House
                  Participant

quote green thumbs:

Louis

Louis, Sent you a PM.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.