Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Johnson 10HO QD 19 exhaust housing temp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    bob-d
    Participant

US Member

Just resurrected a 10HP Johnson. On first start up noticed where the paint was already discolored was blistering hot. Is this normal for this model. Engine runs and pumps well. New impeller etc. Did not pull the head to inspect yet. Does this have something to do with the baffle, or possibly I need a new gasket under the head?
      Also what would cause gas to come up and spill out of the plunger, when under pressure, on the 1956 tank that came with it?
      Thanks

bob-d
      Participant

US Member

Sorry……wrong year it’s a 1958 motor with a 1956 tank.

chris-p
        Participant

Holy Schmokes! Not supposed to get that hot!

Time to pull off the powerhead. In fact, I see a lot of corrosion and overheating signs. I would pull all of the covers (bypass/head/exhaust) clean, dress, install new gaskets and ensure passages are clear. Something is going on in the leg though, and you wont be able to properly fix without pulling powerhead off.

chris-p
          Participant

Regarding the tank, you need to change the diaphragm and rebuild.

bob-d
            Participant

US Member

Chris, will pull head. I think the corrosion on the powerhead was where a mouse family decided to pee. When I originally got the motor there was a nest there.
              Rebuilt the gas tank, used a new gasket and diaphragm, and those ridiculously expensive washers under screws.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

About that diaphragm: The end of the push rod where the diaphragm support washers go must be square and flat. If the metal is corroded away, it certainly will leak. Likewise, the support washers must be flat and not rusted. If distorted, you can flatten them with a tap of a hammer. Finally, use a dab of fuel-proof gasket sealant on the end of the push rod where the support washer meets it.

david-bartlett
                Participant

What are you running for a fuel mix?

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Kind of odd that the heat damage is on the forward side of the exhaust housing. I’m thinking there should be a web in there to prevent the flame from going there. Time for a looksee.

bob-d
                    Participant

US Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Tearing the head off now, will post pictures of what’s under there.
                      Dave running 24:1. The discoloration on the exhaust housing was there when I bought it. Don’t know anything about the motors history. New points,plugs,coil,rebuilt carb etc….Compression is good, starts and idles down well, just that housing is hotter than hell.
                      Stay tuned.

chris-p
                      Participant

Curious to see what is going on there.

I put a dab of 3M 847 where the rod goes through the diaphragm. Im assuming you have the metal primer button on your tank?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 51 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.