Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Johnson 10HO QD 19 exhaust housing temp

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, guess I’m a little confused….You mentioned a 1956 QD, which uses the larger exhaust hsg…But, I think you actually have the 58 smaller exhaust housing, correct? Will look at an exhaust hsg today….

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Don,
        You’re right, that is definitely a 4-bolt housing (’58). The ’56 QD would not have the rib below the exhaust relief on the housing. That’s what made me want to compare it to the ’59 housings I have been into recently.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bob-d
        Participant

US Member

Sorry my header was incorrect.
          You are correct. It’s a 4 bolt 1958 QD 19 with the smaller exhaust housing and the enclosed driveshaft.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well it was a thought anyway. Just had a look at one of my small/four bolt QD exhaust housings, it is cut out just the same way your is….
            I tried to look for some sort of relief spray from the inlet water tube/aluminum part as well, did not see anything obvious. I don’t think the relief spray would be in the little copper water tube, because it is too low in the exhaust housing. I think there should be some sort of relief spray into the top of the exhaust housing to keep this area cool. Again, I didn’t see anything like this, but only checked with a flashlight…I guess I will have to plug the bottom of the water tube and fill it with water to really be sure.
            I know we have dealt with an issue like this before, on someone else’s QD, I believe he ended up drilling a tiny relief hole at the top of the water inlet passage in the exhaust housing…You are welcome to this exhaust housing, but it is white…I’m guessing you would rather have a 58 housing, which is the right color….
            The inside of my housing was not filled with a carbon mess like yours though. There is an exhaust relief hole that passes between the water outlet tube in the exhaust housing to that crazy looking exhaust baffle that is covered by the SS plate. Perhaps yours is plugged holding more of the hot exhaust gas inside the housing….

bob-d
            Participant

US Member

Fleetwin thanks for taking a look at your white housing. I have removed the SS cover on mine and the holes were all clear? There were some pictures on page 2 of my post.
              Thanks for the offer of the white housing. We are not exactly talking about a show winning example here. I would like to give it a try as I’m running out of options. Possibly mine is warped not making a good seal with the power head ?
              PM me the particulars on price and shipping.
              Thanks Bob.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Bob
                I failed to consider that the lower motor cover is different on these two engines….Yours had the clam shell cover with the lower pan that screws on with a bunch of little screws…
                My white housing is from a 60s model with the one piece lower pan that bolts on with rubber mounts, don’t think the two housings will interchange….Will look for a 58 housing, but don’t think I have one…Don

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Now I really want to look into one of these myself. It’s interesting that you found the same cut out in your QD housing too, Don. I sure don’t remember, but then O didn’t have a reason to pay attention to it at the time I had mine apart either. I have another one of these to work on and mine is a 58 also. My powerhead is locked up at this time. It wasn’t that high in the priority list, but I may have to pull the powerhead and have a look pretty soon just to see it myself. I doubt I’ll notice anything else, but now my curiosity is really getting me.
                  – Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

reivertom
                  Participant

US Member

Let us know what happens……I love a mystery. :^)

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

here is one on ebay:
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Johnson-QD … GA&vxp=mtr
                      Hopefully he will accept half what he is asking for it though…
                      Did you try the classifieds here?

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is a 58 evinrude housing:
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/johnson-evinrud … %26rkt%3D6%2
                        6sd%3D263087416293
                        Half the price, but it is worth spending extra to get the right color and not have to paint.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 51 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.