Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Johnson 10HO QD 19 exhaust housing temp

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

I just went down and inspected an exhaust housing tower I had in the basement.

Not sure how the hot exhaust is getting to the front of the housing. The front has the enclosed drive shaft tube. Did you re install the plastic spacer when you did the water pump with an o ring on either side?

Wondering what baffle plate if any you have installed. There were some changes to that model done. Does you model number have a letter suffix after it?

bob-d
      Participant

US Member

Pulled head. Found lots of carbon. Sorry the gasket ripped when the head came off. If it would have stayed in one piece maybe would have helped with the detective work. I didnt see part #2 plate? Could that be causing the exhaust to burn the housing, or just a bad gasket?

bob-d
        Participant

US Member

I now see part number 2 (plate) it was covered with carbon.

chris-p
          Participant

So did you install the plastic spacer PN# 305304 when you dropped the gearcase? Had an o ring either side?

bob-d
            Participant

US Member

Yes Chris, I even install two new o rings. I believe they were two different sizes.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

I’m thinking there should be a small spray hole somewhere to spray cooling water into the exhaust. But I’m not intimate enough with that model to know where to look.

bob-d
                Participant

US Member

Good point Frank. Will dig around. Checked all cooling passages, tubes etc with compressed air and they all flowed well.
                  I’m also thinking gasket on exhaust housing under powerhead was shot allowing the hot exhaust gas to move to the front of the housing instead of dumping the exhaust out the back of housing under the pistons?

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Boy, that is cooking, and it doesn’t appear that the engine is overheating….
                    Have you removed that crazy SS cover with the two screws? Maybe all the carbon has covered ports in there that is causing the hot exhaust to back up…Don’t know what would make it get so hot on the front of the housing though, perhaps the gasket was leaking directing hot exhaust to that area where it was having a hard time escaping….

chris-p
                    Participant

Strange. If the plastic spacer is installed and intact, exhaust gas should not get into that drive shaft tube, unless the gasket was damaged.

There is also a spray hole as Frank stated about half way down, ensure it is not plugged with carbon.

jeff-register
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

We had this problem a few years ago with a red J 10hp. Can’t remember the guys name now.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 51 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.