Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude 18HP will not start

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

If the modified choke is actuating properly, the motor should be getting the fuel needed to start. Overchoking will quickly flood it and the spark plugs will be wet. What about the coils. Are they wired up to the correct set of points? The thumb pump on the tank doesn’t pressurise the tank, it fills the carb bowl full of fuel. Once the motor is running, crankcase pressure pressurises the tank via the second fuel line to the tank. Starting a motor with a near empty tank might require pumping the button a few more times until enough air pressure is built up to force fuel to the carb.

Attachments:

mistermusky
      Participant

In all deference to Richard, I reset things according to his new instructions, including squirting fuel directly into the cylinders, and the motor still gave me nothing.
        The absolute worst part is: I have found another issue that might explain things, but for which I have no explanation.
        About three weeks ago I set up two saw horses and a hunk of plywood to act as a temporary workbench while I worked on and painted some of the balusters and handrails from my deck. I’ve been working on the table off and on. I haven’t been out there for about a week because it’s been raining almost every day. Yesterday, I got my can of paint from the shed and approached the table to do some work. The sunlight happened to glisten off a small metallic object sitting on the table. As I got closer to look at it, I recognized it almost immediately. It was the pin that holds the float in place in the bowl of the carburetor. My jaw hit the ground as well as my paintbrush. This is impossible! How did it get there? I had re-assembled the motor several weeks ago and have been going about the business of getting it running. The table I found it on was only put up a couple of weeks ago. WTH???

I checked with my wife to see if she found it and left it there, no luck. I certainly didn’t find it and then forget I put it there, and no one else has been in my yard during this time period. I checked the bag of parts from the carb kit I used and found the old pin, float and needle valve. The ONLY explanation I have is: when I was re-assembling the carb with the new parts from the carb kit, the float pin must have fallen out without me noticing it. Somehow by divine guidance and intervention it wound up on my paint table to keep me from going insane. This will have to be something I ask God about when I see Him someday. We’re going to have a real good laugh over this one.

SO TO RECAP: With the hinge pin missing from the float, the carb will never work right. Since I am still not getting spark (assumption) I am going to re-test all the components, especially the coils, to make sure we’re all good. Obviously, I will have to remove the starter and the carb and re-install the float pin. Basically I will have to start at square one, which is where I was four months ago.
        Does AOMCI have a licensed psychiatrist on staff to help keep their members from going COMPLETELY NUTS! 🙂 I hope so

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

I was under the impression that this engine had fired for you???? hmmmm

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

chris-p
          Participant

Not as bad as completely rebuilding a powerhead and finding a circlip on your bench and wondering if it was from this motor or another?…..

Or rebuilding a gearcase and re sealing it, install it, to find that 1 little item on your bench….

We have all been there, whether we admit it or not!

retiredoz
            Participant

US Member

Ranks right up there with finding a needle…

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

MM: you say the plug wires are correctly installed, but you replaced the plug wires, correct? How do you know they are correct? Would be easy to get this confused. Usually though, if the plug wires are reversed, the engine will backfire or kick back at least. Have you tried swapping the plug leads? Will only take a few minutes…
                Spark may jump across the plug gaps while cranking with the plugs out, doesn’t mean you have good spark with the plugs installed under compression. You had the mag plate apart, did you set the coil air gaps properly?
                Those stop switch leads can surely cause a problem, but that would usually show up on a proper spark test. You must be very careful with these leads, they are bound to get chafed/grounded/broken after some use, which will cause problems.

bobw
                Participant

US Member

Reminds me of when I rebuilt my 25hp Evinrude powerhead and ordered new rod bearings. When the order arrived I counted the needle bearings in each package and found one package contained one too many bearings. If I hadn’t counted beforehand, I surely would have found the extra one laying on the workbench after completing the assembly and been forced to tear the whole thing open again. A real hassle after taking so much care in realigning the rod caps.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                  1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                  "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

cajuncook1
                  Participant

We have all been where you are right now! Whether experienced for years or just starting out. When experiencing ignition issues it is best to start with the basics. Here are some videos I put together about 4 yrs ago to help out a fella. They are step by step, so just bare with the step by step and follow along. These videos should help you find your ignition issue. Then you can tackle the carburetor…..lol

They are broken up in 10 min segments because originally You Tube did not allow me to post the whole video, so I had break them up in 10 min segments to post. I did them in the spur of the moment, to help a fella out and just left them up on You Tube.

Please get an adjustable open air gap spark checker. You will see one displayed in the videos.

Evinrude Gale and Johnson ignition video part 1 of 7
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTN8Ag_aj-8

Evinrude Gale and Johnson ignition video part 2 of 7
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7A6d8me0Gw

Evinrude Gale and Johnson ignition video part 3 of 7
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAlT32NnTJ0

Evinrude Gale and Johnson ignition video part 4 of 7
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re6FgcB_Yok

Evinrude Gale and Johnson ignition video part 5 of 7
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClGt6xHnb94

Evinrude Gale and Johnson ignition video part 6 of 7
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taaSzp1Ev-0

Evinrude Gale and Johnson ignition video part 7 of 7
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w0xW48YCU

Cheers,

Cajun

mistermusky
                    Participant

Hey Mumbles, thanks for the photo of your mag plate. It’s really clean and laid out nicely. But that prompts me to ask you a question:
                      How do you run your killswitch without grounding your spark? I have lead wires with terminal ends connected to both sets of points.
                      They will eventually run to a switch on the boat’s console that will allow me to kill the motor remotely. How is your switch set up or don’t you use one?

mistermusky
                      Participant

BTW guys.
                        I’m a little confused as to how to post photos.
                        I have several pictures I’d to show you, but I couldn’t figure out how to do it.
                        Any help would be great. TY

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 28 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.