Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude 18HP will not start

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    mistermusky
    Participant

OK – here’s the latest.
      I took the carb off and discovered the the float pin is definitely IN THERE!
      So, I am not insane. I just thought I was. 🙂 The only thing I can think of is that there was a spare in the carb kit. This is my first outboard, so I don’t have any engine parts laying around. All’s well that ends well.

Anyway, on to the mag plate. Just to be 100% sure I removed the coils from the plate to test them.
      Here’s where I need your help.

Using a digital multimeter I got continuity when I touched each wire on the top coil. When I touched black wire and plug wire spike I got 7.11
      also the same when I touched green wire to spike

On the bottom coil I got continuity when I touch the wires. Black wire to spike is 10.51 The green wire to spike is 10.48
      So what do these readings tell you?

Fleetwin:
      While the coils were out, I tested both spark plug wires for continuity and got it on both. Wires are where they should be. However, I did note that the end of the wire isn’t really sticking out that much. That would make me think that the wire is not all the way on the spike. Do you think that might be a problem?

As far as the points go – one set is new. I had to replace it because I stripped out the screw on the terminal. The other set was on the motor when I bought it. So how do I test them? Do I need to put the coils back on?

And what about the condenser? One lead on the wire and the other to ground?
      I want to make sure all the components are good before I put it back together

RICK EICHRODT
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have another suggestion. I just finished up a 1953 Evinrude 3 horse Lightwin that I installed a "new" tune up kit and two new coils. I got spark on one cylinder and not the other. What I discovered is that this "new" still in box OMC tune up kit (172522) had somehow glazed over the points and it was not making good contact. So what I did was remove the points, used an emery board and cleaned the point tips until they were no longer "shiny". I also cleaned the bottom of the point base where it makes contact with the mag plate. If the mag plate has oil or dirt, clean it as well. Lightly scrub it with emery paper or what ever you use, then clean with brake clean or carb cleaner, wipe off and see what happens. From now on, whenever I use an older OMC tune up kit, I am going to clean the points before I install them, just to make sure that a part that has been sitting around for 30 plus years is still usuable. I hope this gives you another idea of what your problem might be.

mistermusky
        Participant

That’s not a bad idea. I might as well go ahead and do that while I have the flywheel off and the coils removed.

lindy46
          Participant

US Member

Always clean new points before installing!

lloyd
            Participant

US Member

I have restored and still run numerous OMC 18’s. 95 PSI is too low to run decent. You need 115- 125 PSI for that powerhead. The order of priorities for restoring any motor to good running is Compression, Ignition, then Carburation in that order. Until you resolve the compression issue the rest is a waste of time and money. Good luck.

mistermusky
              Participant

So Lloyd, what do you suggest I do?

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                  quote Lloyd Lautner:

I have restored and still run numerous OMC 18’s. 95 PSI is too low to run decent. You need 115- 125 PSI for that powerhead. The order of priorities for restoring any motor to good running is Compression, Ignition, then Carburation in that order. Until you resolve the compression issue the rest is a waste of time and money. Good luck.

Great to see you back on the board Lloyd! I look forward to your contributions.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

lloyd
                  Participant

US Member

First of all make sure your compression reading is correct. Assuming your gauge is accurate you will need to give about 3 pulls to get a final maximum reading. Might get about 95 on the first pull, then 110-115, then 125 on the last pull. Also must do it when the motor is cold and dry. Warm motor may give slightly false low readings. Adding oil or even flooded fuel can give a false high reading. If 95 PSI is truly the correct reading, you are in for a ring job, cylinder honing, etc. I have several extra 18 HP OMC powerheads with about 95-105 PSI that are on my list for rebuild. Not going to happen anytime soon though as I have plenty of good runners.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.