Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Fleetwin 7.5

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    steveh
    Participant

US Member

Hi guys,

I picked up a very nice condition 1957 Fleetwin. PO gave the usual "ran great last time out". Nope, it didn’t run last time out, or at least not well as the upper spark plug gap was fused together.

I had planned to use the thing at the lake next weekend, but it looks like I’ll spend my time fixing it. I have no spark on the upper cylinder, but great spark on the lower. Compression is excellent. So, I’m thinking there might be a blown coil on the upper cylinder. I am planning on purchasing a coil, a couple of condensers and a water pump impeller. Anything else that is a common need on these motors? This is the first one of these I’ve worked on.

Also, one of the emblems is missing. If anyone has one they’d like to sell, please PM me.

Thanks,

Steve.

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Check the points and file clean or replace as necessary. Depending on how long it’s sat idle, you may likely also need a carburetor overhaul kit.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

bobw
        Participant

US Member

Also check the gearcase for presence of water. May need to dismantle and reseal the gearcase if you find water/milky oil or no oil.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

chris-p
          Participant

I would pull the flywheel and inspect before buying anything. May just be a matter of cleaning/dressing the points.

As stated, get a new impeller. As you likely know, you need to pull the powerhead on that motor to drop the gearcase. Have a new base gasket, and o ring and gasket for the carbon seal assembly on hand. These are critical items to keep water out of the powerhead.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Would love to see a picture of the upper spark plug gap that was fused together…This concerns me. Was the engine seized when you got it? It kind of sounds like water may have been present in the upper cylinder, you will want to investigate this further. You will need to pull the powerhead to replace the impeller, have a close look at the lower crankcase seal….The lower seal is made up of several crazy looking pieces that must be properly assembled or the powerhead will ingest water and slowly be destroyed.
              Like others have said, I would pull the flywheel and have a look, or at least pull the inspection cover on top of the flywheel to see if the coils are any good. Drain the gear lube looking for the presence of water. These are nice engines but you don’t want to invest a lot of money until you confirm the powerhead/gearcase is in good shape.
              Those plastic emblems are tough to find, and usually command big money when you do find them. I know there is at least one club member who might have one….Can’t remember his name right now, but think he goes by "big Steve"….
              Again, post some pictures so we can help you evaluate this engine.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

This is what I have . . . 😎

steveh
                Participant

US Member

Thanks for the replies, guys.

The motor is/was not seized. As far as I can see looking through the spark plug hole, there are no signs of corrosion on the cylinder walls or piston head. Here is a pic of the spark plug:

Thanks for the parts list Garry, I was having trouble finding part numbers for the base gasket parts Chris was talking about. Here are a couple of other photos:

wagemaker
                  Participant

Nice looking motor, no thanks to the State of Ohio.

labrador-guy
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nice looking motor! Those registration tags will come off with a heat gun if you are so inclined to do so. The plug is typical of using automotive motor oils in a two cycle. That stuff makes carbon like crazy. Might want to check the exhaust port to, see if it is plugged shut also. Get some new gas with TCW3 oil at 16 to 1 she will be ready for another 60 years!

dale

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

Those carbon flakes are usually from the old 30 weight oil trolling in cold northern water. A dose of Sea Foam should clean it out. At least it kept the top rod lubricated. Keep an eye out for mono-filament fish line on the prop shaft. That was the chief cause of water in the gear-case. That would rust the shock absorbing clutch under the water pump which would break and wind up pushing against the top L/U bushing. This can cause enough friction to stop the motor and make you think the powerhead is seized. And of course check the seal on the bottom main bearing. Great looking motor ! ! ! 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.