Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Fleetwin 7.5

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVOedhzPP7M

162.144.28.33/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html#/0

great motor… pamper it

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Do, in fact, use 16:1 oil ratio. I had a 7.5 when I was a kid. A supposedly knowledgeable person told me I could use 50:1 because the oils were better than previously available. It went about 1000 feet and threw a rod.

Long live American manufacturing!

steveh
        Participant

US Member

Nice video crosbyman! That is very helpful.

And Bill, thanks for the pointer. The motor instructions on the inside of the hood do call for 16:1. I always follow the recommended ratios, or occasionally use a little more. Never less.

I haven’t had time to do anything with it this week, but I’ll be at the lake next week and ought to have it running in a day or so, assuming I don’t run into anything out of the ordinary…

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good to sea that the fouled plug does not appear to have anything to do with water intrusion…
            Have a look up inside the exhaust manifold when you pull the powerhead to do the water pump. Treat the engine with OMC engine tuner once it is running again, hopefully this will remove and excess carbon…

steveh
            Participant

US Member

Need a little help here…how do you release the linkage to drop the lower unit? Numbers 33 and 36 in Garry’s diagram of the lower unit above. There doesn’t seem to be enough room to separate them and there isn’t room to drop them…or is there another way?

Thanks,

Steve.

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

If it’s like my 1960 Fisherman, you have to pull the power head.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

steveh
                Participant

US Member

Yes, I have the power head pulled. But there doesn’t seem to be enough room to drop the shaft without disengaging the linkages. I have all the screws out, cotter pin pulled, but I can’t seem to get them separated.

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, the powerhead must be removed to drop the lower u it. This is the case with all of the 7.5s and 5.5s. Not a difficult job and it gives you the chance to renew the lower crankshaft seal components while you are working on it. New drive shaft to crankcase gasket and a new O-ring inside the carbon seal and a new powerhead base gasket along with the water pump impeller and gearcase seals and you should have a good reliable runner for a long time.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

steveh
                    Participant

US Member

Guys, I have the power head off. When I try to drop the lower unit, I am getting hung up on #33 and 36 above. Not sure how to get those separated.

rco
                      Participant

Remove the two 3/8" nuts on the top of the shift rod. There is a star washer between them, so you may not see the lower not on the rod right away. It might take a little wiggling once the nuts are off to get the rod to come free from the shift cam.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.