Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Lark 35

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

In general for that motor:

Size 10 screws 25 to 35 inch lbs
      Size 12 screws 35 to 40 inch lbs
      Size 1?4" 60 to 80 inch lbs
      Size 5?16 120 to 140 inch lbs
      Size 3?8 220 to 240 inch lbs

vintin
      Participant
        quote Chris_P:

Start in the center, and spiral outwards as you go.

Start at 1/2 torque for a revolution, then 3/4 torque, then the final torque.

The compression relief valves have a gap of 020, or is it 010, Ill have to check the manual. Been a while since Ive gapped one.

Compression release is .020

I would think there would not be a compression release system when using a 40hp head.

flathead
        Participant

great, thanks guys. Going out to see if I can get it put back together,

Moxy
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
            quote flathead:

great, thanks guys. Going out to see if I can get it put back together,

Hate to revisit such an old thread, but I read all through it and my curiosity is getting the better of me. (I also could see that you still visit the forum, flathead :)) …so I was just wondering – did hunting down all the rubber pieces solve the overheating issue?

I just bought an old ’58 Lark and I’ve been doing some reading to determine what some problems down the road might be…

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member
              quote VinTin:

I would think there would not be a compression release system when using a 40hp head.[/size]

The first 40 HP motors, which came out in 1960, all had compression release just like the 35s. Not sure what year it may have been discontinued.
              Dave

flathead
              Participant

Yes it did take care of the problem. I don’t remember exactly where in the adventure that quote was from. Chasing it all down took a while. Each time I was sure I had it figured out, no more rubber, then had to go in a little deeper.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.