Home Forum Ask A Member 1973 Evinrude Mate 2HP Issues

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

The piston rings we got from the factory were like that. We had a fixture to lock them in place to notch them for the alignment pin in the piston ring slot. . . 😉

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m going to go out on a limb and say I would be giving up on that cylinder. There have been a few cylinders I have seen that were that bad, that I, too, tried to dream back to life, but it never ends well. Even if you can get it to start, it will be hard to start and be anemic in power. In my humble opinion, that block is just toast. It happens and it’s never fun. By the way, you had the piston in right before but now it’s backwards…

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good catch Bill! You are probably right, with these rust/pits, the engine will probably run, but will be hard to start and won’t idle…
          OK, so you have found an .030" piston and rings…The big deal here is getting the cylinder bored out to .030" properly. I would not let just anyone do this for you, you may want to contact Dan Anderson aka t2stroke…
          Don

shane-r13
          Participant

Thanks for catching the piston, I’m pretty sure I rotated it around correctly when I reconnected after the picture, but now I’m worried and I’ll have to crack it open again to double check haha. As for boring it out, not my intention to go that far with this motor. Someone had stated they had never seen a oversized piston and I was just informing them that its available if your lucky to find it. I hate to give up on it but you may be entirely right and it’ll never run right. Its just a darn perfect motor to use with my flat stern sportspal on those back lake speck spots.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Go ahead and give the new rings a shot, it is already apart anyway….Just be sure to orient that piston properly…

mike-stroz
              Participant

If you’re anywhere near central MA, I have one of these laying around that seems to have decent compression if you want to make one good motor from 2. The mag seems a little ropey on mine and it’s missing the knobs on the front.

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant

i have a 1977 Johnson 2 hp i had bored out .030 by a friend of Dan’s in Tn. I have yet to rebuild. If Dan A. recommends Jay’s you can believe he is good!
                  Jason White
                  Jay’s Block Shop
                  Sparta, Tn
                  I don’t have any contact info for him as Dan arranged the work.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

shane-r13
                  Participant

Well it didn’t start today. But compression bumped up from 65 to 70psi, which is a bit odd. As for sending it out to be bored. I’m in Canada so its not really economical to send across border to get it done. I’m sure there is a reputable machinist here that would be able to do, but honestly i don’t have the ambition to spend the funds on it. I’d like to think at 70psi i should get it to fart a bit, so I’m sort of wondering now if maybe because the points were the only part of the ignition i didn’t change that maybe my spark isn’t strong enough under compression. I’m considering going and buying a spark tester or just get the points, toss up as spend the cash on the tester and be useful forever and still maybe buy the points or just buy the points and maybe it doesn’t help at all lol.

Fired up my like HD-25 today though just so I could hear one of motors run. That little puppy purrs on 70psi of compression.

shane-r13
                    Participant

Ok, update number 4312, haha. I put motor oil in the cylinder and threw the compression tester in. came out with 145psi. SO to me that says because of the wrong ends on my rings and the huge end gap that if i get the correct ones my compression should improve greatly. and it sputtered and blow out some blue smoke when i put oil and the plug in and turned over. Seems like a good sign to me.

Thanks for everyones input and help again! I’ll update once i receive the new rings.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, sounds promising…
                        Again, please check the ring end gaps before assembly. You will want to check the side clearance of the rings also, the distance between the top or bottom of the rings and the piston ring lands…The old rings were rusted in place, be sure to clean out those piston ring lands (using a broken ring) to make sure they don’t get stuck due to left over rust/carbon….

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 50 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.