Home Forum Ask A Member 1973 Evinrude Mate 2HP Issues

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I posted Jason White’s contact info Tuesday April 3 ,somehow i inadvertantly put it on a new thread "Ask A Member"

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

joesnuffy
      Participant

If you don’t mind please take pictures of how your measuring your ring gap once you get new rings. I am guessing you put a new ring into the top portion of cylinder and measure the gap between the ring using a feeler gauge? Also as Gary said you may have to notch the rings yourself if their not notched to make sure they fit around the piston pins correctly. He could best advise you on that because he has done them before. I hope that helps, Joe

ps by taking plenty of picture the guys here can really help you better post as many as you can.

pss I did just find this looks like cylinder is in good shape and priced right to sell. You even get the ignition parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Evinrude-Johns … Z~&vxp=mtr

shane-r13
        Participant
          quote joesnuffy:

If you don’t mind please take pictures of how your measuring your ring gap once you get new rings. I am guessing you put a new ring into the top portion of cylinder and measure the gap between the ring using a feeler gauge? Also as Gary said you may have to notch the rings yourself if their not notched to make sure they fit around the piston pins correctly. He could best advise you on that because he has done them before. I hope that helps, Joe

ps by taking plenty of picture the guys here can really help you better post as many as you can.

pss I did just find this looks like cylinder is in good shape and priced right to sell. You even get the ignition parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Evinrude-Johns … Z~&vxp=mtr

New rings should be here early next week.
          I plan to put the new ring in about half in down from top, near the top of piston travel for the rings and measure and then measure then again below the intake and exhaust ports near bottom of ring travel. I will be using a feeler gauge. I have that ad saved on eBay already lol, just in case this one doesn’t work out.

shane-r13
          Participant

Just an update. Got the new rings, end gap measured .025. At least double what it should be. Anyways block is toast. Still low 70PSi. Time to look for a new block for cheap.

Thanks for the help from everyone.

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant

Shane-i sent you a PM.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
              Robbie Robertson

shane-r13
              Participant

Well update time. I got a parts motor. Block looked good. Cylinder measured out at 1.565. My piston and the one that came with the parts motor measured out at 1.562. Sadly my ring end gap was still .21 nearly double what it should be and I tried two different sets of rings. That has me confused. Anyways threw it all together. Got 90psi. Better than it was with my old block but not great. Got spark. Doesn’t fire. Even when squirting fuel into plug hole directly, its sort of wants to fire but doesn’t. I’ve got two of everything now, so i guess my next step is to swap the electronics even though mine are new. Maybe for some reason I’m not getting good spark under compression.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I am remembering that the ring end gap for the 2hp changed over the years, so your ring end gap might be OK after all…
                  Yes, I agree, seems like too much of a coincidence that the engine won’t run after using a different powerhead/rebuild…It should at least do something when you put fuel directly into the cylinder.
                  Time to get back to basics….Spark/fuel/compression/exhaust….Are you sure there is no exhaust blockage somewhere? Have you had the gearcase off…It is possible to block the exhaust if the exhaust housing/gearcase are mismatched….But, I don’t recall you saying anything about swapping the gearcase. Perhaps there is a nest/mud filling the exhaust housing blocking the exhaust…

shane-r13
                  Participant

I used the gear case and lower end from the parts motor so block and lower end were from the same motor. But I applied a thin layer of gasket maker to head, let it dry for a few hours. compression tested the same (90psi). But when pulled over it really wanted to fire up this time when choked only. So that made me think fuel. Well I swapped out the carb and WELL holy crap it runs!!!! What a pain this motor has been. But hey for less than $150 Canadian dollars total I have a 2hp that I know the ins and outs of. Plus I have spare parts galore haha.

I’d like to thank everyone who has given me input and advice on this little guy. I sure learned a lot and appreciate it.

Shane

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

That cylinder does not look good in the picture. You might see if a honing will clean it up without making it too oversize.
                      Do the piston skirts look as bad as the cylinder wall?

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                        quote FrankR:

That cylinder does not look good in the picture. You might see if a honing will clean it up without making it too oversize.
                        Do the piston skirts look as bad as the cylinder wall?

What pictures are you referring to Frank?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 50 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.