Home Forum Ask A Member 1973 Evinrude Mate 2HP Issues

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member
      quote fleetwin:

quote FrankR:

That cylinder does not look good in the picture. You might see if a honing will clean it up without making it too oversize.
      Do the piston skirts look as bad as the cylinder wall?

What pictures are you referring to Frank?

Never mind, this thread got way ahead of me. I was referring to the pictures way back on page one. What are we on now, page four or something?

EDIT: Actually page five

shane-r13
      Participant
        quote FrankR:

That cylinder does not look good in the picture. You might see if a honing will clean it up without making it too oversize.
        Do the piston skirts look as bad as the cylinder wall?

Frank, that was the original block i was trying to make work. I honed it but to no avail. I purchased another parts motor swapped parts around and now its a fire breathing dragon again, although still rather low compression at 90psi.

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

By chance was there an issue with the lower crank bearing / seal was leaking on the original case? I have a 1976 Evinrude 2hp with a bad lower bearing unit. It has decent compression, but it won’t even fart on a prime charge through the intake due to insufficient crankcase compression. It will pop a little and give a little smoke with a charge through the spark plug hole but that is all. Just curious if this was ever checked.
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

jerryswiss
          Participant

I just got done going through a 1971 2hp Evinrude. It had been left out in the weather and was a rusty mess. The only reason I didn’t give up on it is it has good compression, 110psi, and that is at 4800 ft elevation. I just started it up yesterday for the first time and it runs good. I guess these things normally have high compression.

shane-r13
            Participant
              quote Fisherman6:

By chance was there an issue with the lower crank bearing / seal was leaking on the original case? I have a 1976 Evinrude 2hp with a bad lower bearing unit. It has decent compression, but it won’t even fart on a prime charge through the intake due to insufficient crankcase compression. It will pop a little and give a little smoke with a charge through the spark plug hole but that is all. Just curious if this was ever checked.
              -Ben

Hi Ben, actually I used the same lower bearing unit from the original motor as the parts motor was missing both crank bearings. But that thought had crossed my mind. I ran it in a barrel for awhile under varying speeds and then compression tested again. And now its testing around the 110psi mark. At this point i’m pleased. Just about double what I started with.

Shane

shane-r13
              Participant
                quote jerryswiss:

I just got done going through a 1971 2hp Evinrude. It had been left out in the weather and was a rusty mess. The only reason I didn’t give up on it is it has good compression, 110psi, and that is at 4800 ft elevation. I just started it up yesterday for the first time and it runs good. I guess these things normally have high compression.

Yes they are funny little motors. I have an HD-25 2.5hp that starts and runs like a dream on 70psi. This one couldn’t get it to fart at that.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so the engine starts and runs OK now?? If so, did you find an ignition problem?

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                    quote Shane.R13:

Hi Ben, actually I used the same lower bearing unit from the original motor as the parts motor was missing both crank bearings. But that thought had crossed my mind. I ran it in a barrel for awhile under varying speeds and then compression tested again. And now its testing around the 110psi mark. At this point i’m pleased. Just about double what I started with.

Shane

That’s great news! Glad you got the little guy running well now!
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

shane-r13
                    Participant
                      quote fleetwin:

OK, so the engine starts and runs OK now?? If so, did you find an ignition problem?

Fleetwin,

Yes it runs and starts finally. No I never really found an ignition problem. Fuel likely, while my plugs where wet it wasn’t running, swapped carbs and it took off. This I found out last, maybe just maybe that was an issue the whole time and it may have sputtered on the old block had I given it a carb swap. Oh well it runs well now.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s all that matters, never question success!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.